sulpha allergy and hydrochlorothiazide

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

virginia

sulpha allergy and hydrochlorothiazide

Post by virginia »

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask if anyone here is allergic to sulpha and taken thiazide diuretics successfully? I am severely allergic to sulpha (needing adrenalin injection) and had been prescribed a thiazide diuretic, which is in the same drug family. I looked this prescription up on the internet , as I always do with new drugs, and the blurb said that if you are allergic to one you'll probably be allergic to the other. Anyway, I called my pharmacist to enquire and she said the chance was very very slim that I would have a sulpha-like reaction. My neph then said not to take it as a precaution because the results could be disasterous......but i'd still like to know of any of you who have had experience with this, just out of curiosity. I had been prescribed it to lower my potassium levels, but we are going about it another way now in light of this dilemma.

Thanks!
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

I was on HCTZ for a while and I have a severe sulfa drug allergy. I never had any problems with it but I can relate to your concern. I am always leary of taking a drug related to one I'm allergic to. The hctz did make me super dizzy though but I think that's just a normal side effect.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06