Ribbons, anyone?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Ribbons, anyone?

Post by Pam »

Hi everyone!
Here in the States we have yellow magnetic "ribbons" that you can put on your car that say "Support Our Troops" or red, white and blue "God Bless America" and other sayings. I have also seen some pink ones for breast cancer and a black one for the POWS/MIAS.
I was just wondering if anyone has seen any green ones...green ribbons are for transplantation awareness. I was just wondering...I would like to get some if they are out there!
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

HI Pam,

Green is actually a cool one. The ribbon for "Organ Donor Awareness" is green, the ribbon for "Kidney Cancer Awareness " is green, and the ribbon for "Kidney Disease Awareness" is green. Rachel wears a green ribbon on her italian charm bracelet.

For those not familier with these awareness ribbons, here is a link to a list of all 'awareness ribbons' for various diseases and causes. This seems to be themost comprehensive list I've come across-

http://www.personalizedcause.com/shop/index.html

I haven't seen any green magnets yet :( I have seen loads of enameled pins and such... thing is they all want you to buy like 100 of 'em. I'll keep an eye out for magnetic ones.. and let you know If I find anything.

-g
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

The problem with ribbon campaigns, as far as I know is that they stand for many things to many people..

Green is a particular case.. Taking a quick look on google you have green ribbon for:
A christian "Responsibility in Free Speech" Campaign
An environmental energy conservation program
A 'green ribbon award for environment' NZ
Child pedestrian safety (Utah)
Its also represents a number of aspects of Ireland

It actually took me till the 2nd page of google to hit anything on organ donation.

I'm not meaning to knock this post.. Just to point out that to a lot of people coloured ribbons mean different things or little at all.:)

Would be nice if there was an international symbol to support organ donation but to my knowledge there isn't, is there?

I was thinking of an invisible ribbon campaign (they aren't there) but the canadians did this already!!
The psychedelic ribbon and the rainbow ribbon have already been done too.. We're all outta ribbons if you wanna be specific;)
xx J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rik

Post by Rik »

see you have to think of these things laterally Jim ...
Green is perfect for Transplant awareness mate ...
Green is for the environment and recycling ... etc etc ...
heck ... what is a transplant if its not recyling of previously owned bits eh!!!!!
:wink:
nycpetit

Green ribbons

Post by nycpetit »

Yes. I've seen them. I've got a few that I was given at a transplant clinic I went to. I wear mine pretty often. My stepdad, donor, wears his every day! :)
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Jman, they may be more popular in the US then in the UK. THere are many differnet kinds of 'awareness ribbons'. Enviromental, etc. In terms of 'diseases' though, green is kidney disease, kidney cancer, and organ donor. The disease/cancer ribbons are way more common then the ribbons for 10001 different causes.

When you see a green ribbon (in the US), you know its either kidney or organ tx, just like when you see a pink you KNOW its breast cancer awareness.

-g
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Thats my point G... to you they do.. to someone else they may nothe
:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Well isn't it enough to wear something that YOU believe in? If I believe purple dotted red striped socks will bring me luck, I may get an awful lot of stares.. but hey I'm allowed to wear that.

Ribbons, in general, signify that you are wearing it for pride or to raise awareness, about a cause. That's enough. You are doing your thing. And guess what - if it means nothing to the next person, WHO CARES? If it means something to me, that's what I care about!

-g
wing

Post by wing »

And surely the point is, that the person to whom the ribbon means nothing may well ask - what is the green ribbon for? A quick explanation and that's hopefully another convert to the cause!
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

I haven't seen those. I have a nice pin with the green ribbon I wear on my hat.
I am wondering what it would take to get an organ donor license plate. I mean they've got them from turkey hunting to schools to Nascar here. And they are real big of donating a dollar to promote awareness and give you a plate frame. Do any states have such a plate?
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

I don't know about license plates, but Richard has a license plate frame that says "Recycle yourself -Donate a Kidney". It gets people thinking at least.

Carolyn
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Go to
www.transplantawareness.org

They have a selection of pins, stickers, licence plates, shirts etc.

Anne