cycler

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruce

cycler

Post by Bruce »

I have been on CAPD for about a month now and my PD nurse has told me to start thinking about the cycler. I am barely familiar with manual exchanges and know nothing about CCPD. Any info or hints you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. --Bruce
Angel

Cycler

Post by Angel »

Hi Bruce I was on 3 different clyclers over a period of about 10 years. There is not a whole lot of difference in getting yourself onto the machine-all the same sort of connections etc. It does take awhile to get to grips with how you and your body respond to it and also to get used to deciding what to ask the machine to do. Certainly it gives you far more freedom as your days are totally free and in many cases mine included you feel better for it. :D
RICHARD A DOUCETTE

THE cycler

Post by RICHARD A DOUCETTE »

Hi Bruce, I am doing the cycler at night now and once in theafter noon.
At first I was not sure about it talked to my nureses big help I like it
over capd. the michene will help walk you thror it .I have my from
baxter I have gotting good tech help from them. I will let you know
how this week went.

Good luck

Richard
Richard a Doucette
pamom2

Post by pamom2 »

Bruce, I love the cycler! It does your dialysis while you sleep and as I am typing this, I am on it. I think it was easy to learn especially if you already know how to do dialysis manually. There is a book provided to you that takes you step by step in setting up. I just came home from a week at the beach and had my cycler with me. It was so nice to have all my days free. I think if you can handle doing it manually, the cycler would be a good choice. Good Luck!

Kathy
amanda in CA

PD

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I've been on CAPD in the past for 18 months and on CCPD for just over a year this time. The latter gives you much more freedom. It takes a little getting used to the noise that the machine makes (not very loud, unless it alarms) but you tune it out after a while. (In fact, I use it as a relaxation techniqe: I take myself back to my Gran's garden from when I was a child and imagine that it is a motor boat far away on the sea, while I lie in the sun!) Although you are trained to connect up for the full 'shift' the way I look at it is, if you are on CAPD you connect and disconnect so why not on CCPD? I'm sure that some over-zealous nurse would say that that gives rise to an uncessary infection risk (which is present every time you connect or disconnect but then the way I look at it is, that it is important to get on with your life too) I generally start at about 7.30 pm, do a drain out and in and then disconnect for the dwell cycle. That way, I can do a bit more with my evening. I would highly recommend it. Amanda