Extra pills left over

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruno

Extra pills left over

Post by Bruno »

hopefully this will not get deleted....

I have rejected my transplanted kidney and i am back on dialysis.

I know transplant meds are very expensive. I have quite a bit of meds that I will no longer need and if anyone out there could use them to offset their medical expenses/insurance free of charge of course, please let me know. i have prograff, celcept, calcitrol,bi carb, you name it i probably have it. :roll:
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

I just want to say that I am sorry that your transplant didn't work out. :( That has to be hard on you.

Are you going on PD or hemo?

Good luck to you!
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
Pam

Post by Pam »

Dear Bruno,
I am sorry that you are back on dialysis. I've been through that and it is not easy to adapt to it all over again. :cry:
Have you asked at your nephrologist's if your meds can possibly benefit another person? Maybe they have some ideas...it is certainly generous of you to offer them.
Take care of yourself...
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Bruno,

I have lots of spares also, but I'm still going thankfully.

I would have thought you could just casually, hand them back to a pharmacy. I have been told I can do that here. Especially with our NHS, they will love another "cost cutting" idea like that.

Just try a local pharmacy or hospital, someone is sure to benefit from them.

Good luck,

Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

To my knowledge (and I may well be wrong):

in the US redistributing meds is questionable (insurance co's don't like it and its legally questionable (from their point of view). Used to be a guy on the web who ran a 'network' to redistribute 'spares' such as this.. PM me if you want and I can try and dig up the info

In the UK meds returned to pharmacy get binned (in a secure and appropriate manner) as far as I know.

Personally I think its a horrendous waste, but the regulations are there to protect people so there ya go.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
wing

Post by wing »

I can support what JMan says, with regard to meds returned to pharmacies in the U.K.
I've led a sheltered life so couldn't possibly comment on what goes on in America!
The reason given for not re-cycling returned meds when I questioned this with my pharmacist was that the pharmacy could not guarentee that the meds had been stored correctly or tampered with in any way and they would be held liable for any detrimental effects (or ineffectiveness) on the individual who used the re-cycled meds.
I do know that at times, they collect returned meds and send them to the third world for use there - presumably people in the third world are too poor to sue anyone!! - or possibly it is felt that the risks of taking re-cycled meds are less than the risk of having no medication at all.
Bruce

extra pills left over

Post by Bruce »

A few years ago (pre 9/11) I was given too much of a medication by mistake. I attempted to take it back to the pharmacy (it seemed a waste) and was told that in the US they could not take anything back for reuse. In this post-9/11 world I'm certain they cannot dispense anything that has not come in through secure means.

It's a great gesture, though. I hope you can find a way to help someone who needs these meds.