Is this normal???

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruno

Is this normal???

Post by Bruno »

I have lost 40 or so puonds since i have been back on dialysis. (not really a bad thing! :oops: ) but i have a big tummy that is mis-shaped i guess from my transplant. will i ever loose my big belly because i am now begining to look like a worm with a knot in the middle or 7 months pregnant :o
my question is has anyone else experience this? is there anything i could do about it?
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

It was for me. I went down from 11st to 10st when I went on dialysis. Ever since I have been recommending dialysis as a great way to lose weight. Now I can buy cargo pants at River Island, the staff at which used to stare snootily at me and sneer [in a gentlemanly way, of course]: "I think that perhaps sir is a little too stout for anything we sell". Bloody cheek!
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hiya,

I too lost a lot of weight whilst I was on haemodialysis. My only conclusion for that, is because I went from eating whatever I want at my leisure, not having to worry about that kind of thing, to being on a restrictive diet.

As for the belly thing, I also have one. I am also transplanted now, and I don't think it's avoidable. I've been going swimming for the past year to keep fit, and it's had little or no effect on that. Can't specifically answer your question though, but it may or may not go. My belly isn't big, but I guess it's not really wanted, and I do try and hide it a bit. I was 13 stone after the transplant, now I am about 12, and I am ok with that.

Hope this helps,

Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

Steroids (prednisone) I believe is a contributing factor to increasing belly size. A side affect of the drug is fat accumulation in the abdominal area.
Rik

Post by Rik »

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!
finally I have an excuse for not having a 6-pack!!!!
OK OK so for the first 41 years I didnt have an excuse ... but now I do!!!!!
finally I can proudly boast a medical reason!!!!!
thank you thank you thank you Pred!!!!!!
(and you Johnsor for pointing it out to me :wink: )