Long Time No See and a transplant ?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Michele in TN

Long Time No See and a transplant ?

Post by Michele in TN »

Hey everyone. I know it's been quite a few months so I thought I would stop by. I was on PD using the cycler for 8 months. 8 very lovely months. I have never felt better! On July 28th at 6 pm I got called to have a transplant. I had the surgery the following morning. I think it went pretty well. The kidney was a great match but now I am just not sure what is going on. I had fluid collections around the new kidney and after getting a staph infection where the first drain was they had to place a new drain. That just came out last week. I go back on Wed for what seems like the millionth CT scan (it's the 8th). Then they will decide when to take the pd cath and the stint out. I feel like I have a bladder infection all of the time now, but I don't. My output is almost a liter less than my input on a daily basis they don't really seem concerned :roll:
I am starting to get very frustrated at the doctors and nurses. I am extra worried about the pd cath coming out. Lord knows what a time my body had getting used to it and now I would prefer to keep it but they won't let me :roll:
For those of you with transplants can you give me any advice? Share your story with me. I am just about at the end of my rope. Oh and Friday was the first day I was allowed to drive. Which has been even harder on us. My parents and husband have all been taking off to take me to the clinic or hospital and to take little Emily to dance and pick her up from school.
Gil

Post by Gil »

Hi Michele,

Been there, done that.
You need a lot of patience (that's why we are called patients).
I had an open drainage for about 2 month, fluid collection around the kidney, and swollen feet and ankles for 10 months.
For almost a year I was not sure about my transplant, but that was 3 years ago. I am more a less stable now with UTI every 6 months (have just finished 14 days of anti-biotic), but after 17 years on hemo it is a small price to pay.
You can read my 3rd transplant story in my website.
Of course, whatever I have gone thru is dwarfed when you hear Rachel's story.

All the best,
Gil