Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Part 2

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Signman

Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Part 2

Post by Signman »

When I had a heart attack last August I was taken off transplant list!.
It's taken all this time to finally see my consultant! (If it wasn't for my GP keeping me up to date with what's been happening, I'd still be in the dark!!).

As far as I understand "Dilated Cardiomyopathy" means my heart is enlarged and because of this the muscles are weak, so it is not pumping the blood as well as it should.

Symptoms are:-
Heart Failure (apparently, their are several levels).
Backlog of fluid in lungs and body.
Breathlessness.
Fluid retention.
Tiredness.

My Consultant says that their is no cure for this!! (actually their is one ... Heart Transplant) but can be treated with medication to halt further deterioration. She also told me that my condition will not improve until I have transplant, so she said it's imperative to get me back on list.

The renal transplant team are coming to Aberdeen next month, and hopefully if my levels improve by then, they will put me back on!!!

Well here's hopping!!
Bill.

For further information:- www.cardiomyopathy.org