Operation Date

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Operation Date

Post by R30 »

Well everyone, I have had my op date through - it's 25 October at Southmead. Needless to say, this is a huge relief, although I am still awaiting some test results that may put paid to this. Thanks to my mum for offering her kidney, and thanks to the rest of my family for undergoing the rigmarole of testing - I will need yours in the future.
Can't say I'm looking forward to the operation, but I am looking forward to feeling well again, and getting off dialysis (hopefully).
I am opting for steriod-free medication following my transplant so that, with any luck, I don't have to undergo the awful side-effects that I had last time I was on prednisolone.
Thanks
Ruth
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Great news Ruth!! And 25 October is a good date for your transplant - I got my kidney on that date 3 years ago. Hope everything goes well for you, and your mum. Keep us posted and we'll share the anniversary next year.
Lots of love,
Lorna
xxx
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Nice to hear:D:D

GOod luck:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

old borris, you will be relieved to know, volunteers to keep any two of his fingers crossed for you. Please advise which fingers you would like crossed.
nycpetit

Yea!!!

Post by nycpetit »

I just had my transplant, 3.5 weeks ago. It's really, really not that bad. The operation is fine, it's the fluids they pump into you afterwards to get that kidney moving that is somewhat uncomfortable. After a couple of days, it's much more manageable.

You are very, very lucky, as was I, to have a living donor. It was an eye-opener to see people not as fortunate as I, including the woman next to me in my room who's cadeveric kidney was not working real well yet, they found a tumor on her pancreas, and she's diabetic. And just meeting some of the other patients, you realize what a blessing it is.

Don't be alarmed if you are more tired afterwards. The first week, other than very weak, you feel good. Now I am more tired, as I am also still rather anemic. It takes some time to recover. My life is pretty much back to normal, but I still take those naps! :wink:

Huge well wishes for you. I think it's wonderful. Here's to feeling better for the holidays!!
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Congratulations Ruth. Hope all goes smoothly and you both heal quickly and well.

anne
Rik

Post by Rik »

fdihngersd crossderds fgoirt yoiu Rutyh ...
damn it!!!
how am I supposed to type with my fingers crossed!!!!
fingers crossed for you Ruth ... (except when typing!!!!)
not that you will need it I'm sure ... :D
please do make sure that someome pops up on here to let us know how you are doing until you feel able to post back here yourself
all the best
:0)XXX
R30

Op Date

Post by R30 »

Dear all
Many thanks for your responses.
For Old Borris: any two fingers that are still attached.....thanks!
It's such a relief to finally have something to work towards, and not be left in limbo any longer. I think it's the not-knowing that becomes problematic.
Nice to hear from nycpetit that the op itself is ok. Being able to talk to someone who has so recently been through this is a real help, and any other information you can share about the recouperation process would be welcomed.
Thanks to you all for being a support through some dreadful times for me in the last six months - every word has been appreciated.
Ruth xx
Hal

Post by Hal »

Great news Ruth and good luck.
LW Adams

Great News

Post by LW Adams »

My date is 12 Oct, here in Kansas City, Missouri.
My wife is my donor, it took her alot of studying so she could pass all the pre tests, HA HA
I'm just glad and lucky that she was compatiable .
Well got to get to bed got early labs in the morning. Hope the your transplant goes well my wife and I will keep everyone here in our prayers.
Have fun and have a good week. LW Adams & Wife