Fluid retention

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

June Adn

Fluid retention

Post by June Adn »

Have been doing PD for 6 weeks, initially started off well. However over the past few days have been retaining up to 500ml of the dialysete fluid in the morning bag my blood sugar also shot up through the roof (I am a known diabetic) Doctors don't seem to be so concerned and say I am to keep better control over my BMs.

However I feel that it is not me that is the problem would appreciate any comments or advice. Currently using the Fresenius Fluid.
Regards June
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi June,

When you say retaining fluid in the bag, how about yourself - are your ankles swollen ? Any noticeable swelling anywhere else ? Do you have breathing difficulties ?

What is your weight like ? You should weigh yourself every morning when you get up and your weight should be roughly the same. If it is increasing day by day then you are almost certainly retaining fluid.

Hopefully someone else can help on the diabetes issues for you.

If you are worried - keep pestering those doctors and don't let them fob you off.

Regards,

Hal
amanda in CA

retaining fluid

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I agree with what Hal has told you. In addition, I tend to steal fluid from the bag if I am dehydrated. Could that be the problem? I guage this from what my skin looks like and also my weight. If you are absorbing fluid then you are also absorbing the sugar from it can contribute to your raise in blood sugar. Maybe you are using stronger bags than you need to, they have more sugar in them, therefore for a given volume there is more sugar to absorb. Go for the 'lightest' bag that you can since the stronger the solution the more damage to the peritoneum over time. Hope this helps, Amanda