south beach diet

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

preciouslove0902

south beach diet

Post by preciouslove0902 »

hi everyone :D
I have a question about the South Beach Diet. I am getting ready to start this diet and I have a question about Phase 1. It says that you cannot have fruit for 2 weeks. Will that cause any problems with the pottasium levels? I have heard of a few transplant recipients having success with this diet. Has anyone on here used the diet before? If so, did you like it? Did you have any problems with your lab tests? Sorry for all of the questions but I am now on my journey of trying to lose the 40 pounds that I gained since my transplant.

Thank you all,
Miriam :wink:
Ronnie Magnolia Springs

Post by Ronnie Magnolia Springs »

Miriam...

I would not do it until I spoke with my nephrologist. I would think there would be a better plan that would be less reliant on protein. I know your new kidney is doing it's job..but all that protein could make it work harder than it needs to be working.
It is great to be able to eat just about anything now isn't it? I have gained about twenty pounds since transplant last October and it is now time for me to start thinking about dropping the extra weight. I think I am going to try exercise though. The first one I am going to start with is the
"pushing away from the table"
exercise. I have always had the best luck with it.
Good luck with whatever diet you choose.

Ronnie
nycpetit

SB diet

Post by nycpetit »

You definately need to discuss this with your nephrologist. It's essentially a low-carb diet, and that in itself is dangerous for kidney patients/transplant patients. That one kidney cannot take on the load of protein that comes with the SB diet.

Your nephrologist, or dietician should have someone who can work with you on a safer diet.

Best to you
Natalie
preciouslove0902

Post by preciouslove0902 »

Thanks,
That was going to be my next question. I realized that the diet consists of you eating protein throughout the day. I don't eat nearly as much as I did and I still cannot lose even 1 pound. I will just have to become more consistent with the excercise. Any suggestions that you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Miriam :lol:
jcave

Post by jcave »

I have been struggling with my weight for years now..Prednisone is not helping! I have found that weight watchers does well. I just started two weeks ago and have lost 6 pounds...and i have been trying diets for 1 1/2 years and not lost anything before. I am also doing Water Aerobics at least 5 times a week...It is amazing! I love exercising in the water! Not only has it helped me feel better, but it has helped me lose weight and keeps me from swelling too much. If you are on dialysis, I am not sure if you can do water aerobics, but if you have the option of doing it, I highly suggest it! :lol:
jcave
j.cave
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi!
It seems that almost everyone has problems with the weight after transplant! I have had success with eating a LOT of fruits and vegetables-plus whole grains. It also helps your cholesterol tremendously. About the only exercise I do is chasing around little ones even though I have none of my own! :roll: I like to walk and I have to tell you that walking helped me keep myself at a stable weight even while eating my way through Europe! (the chocolate there is to die for! :wink: ) Of course, that was 20 years ago and we all know what middle age does. :roll:
I would not try the South Beach diet...there are new findings out that have reported that those on these high protein diets will have kidney and heart disease in the future-plus, it has also been found that in a few years, they will have trouble losing weight. This, in addition to the extra load of protein your kidney will have to deal with is a good idea not to try these risky diets! My sister (who has also had a tx) said that excess protein can shred renal tissue...you don't want that!
Everyone has always told me that changing your lifestyle is the best way to lose weight-learning to like the foods that help reduce pounds is the best thing you can do. It's not hard-you just have to re-train your body and taste buds. You can still have "treats"-you just have to limit them... and exercise! :roll: :x I hate to sweat! I am basically a "fidgety" type of person so that helps a bit too.
I have been everywhere from 50 lbs in my "dialysis days" to 180 last year... and I am 4 ft. 9 in. I finally lost 65 lbs and it has made me feel so much better. I hope you have success with your "losing" efforts!
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28