Q: one for everyone:)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Q: one for everyone:)

Post by JMan »

Ok folks..

A little simple Q..

What is everyones favourite song or piece of music and why?

for me it has to be Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield (all versions except 3 which I didn't like:))

Why? Because its a classic about the same age as me. It seems to tell a story and it was the first bit of music I 'owned' (on a very stretched audio cassette given me by my brother) and started my 'interest' into popular and other music. Its also the first song produced that made a name for Virgin Records.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Cheryl in CT

favorite song....

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hey, Jim -

It HAS to be LAYLA - Layla and Layla - original version FIRST, with acoustic version a somewhat distant 2nd... MUST be performed by Clapton, preferably LIVE. The BEST love song ever written, at least as I see it! Saw a heroin-afflicted/addicted Clapton more times in my younger days than even some of his groupies did, I think - yet married a rock music-impaired soul, anyway! (What is it they say... something about "opposites attract"?)

I have LOTS of other musical "favorites", but NOTHING will ever surpass this one!

-Cheryl-
kel.

Post by kel. »

Hi Jim,

I cant really pin point one particular song but have a favourite album which is Madonna's Imaculate Collection I just love every song on it and know them all word for word.

My brother used to listen to it all the time so it just reminds me of when i was growing up. :lol:

Kel x
Mike

Post by Mike »

The first record I ever bought was a joint purchase with my sister. It was Save your love by Renee and Renato :shock:

Obviously still my favourite :wink:

I used to have a little box of 7" which had some of the best records ever made such as: -
Doctorin the tardis by the timelords
the classic Paul McCartney songs, spies like us theme & The frog chorus

Seriously though it's a difficult question at the moment as I'm so disillusioned with music generally but I like Dizzee rascal, beastie boys at the moment but I think my favourite single is Billie Jean, it is classic Jackson when he was still good and the one I listen to more than any other.

If you were taking about films however I think the best recent film would be Donnie Darko which is fantastic, dark and difficult to understand but worth making the effort and makes more sense after you've watched it a few times plus it has an absolutely fantastic 80's soundtrack.

I'll watch anything with Chevy Chase or Bill Murray in it for something stupid, Lost in Translation was one of the best films I've seen recently or Amelie is another fantastic film .

Scarlett Johansson is lovely :P
JMan

Post by JMan »

Hmmmm eyecandy!:D

I WAS gonna leave the films for another thread,.. but what they hey..:)
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Goldie

Yanni, Yanni, & Yanni - of course

Post by Goldie »

I am absolutely addicted to everything by Yanni. When I listen to it (and LOUD) after a few minutes my heart beats along with the beats of the music. Its a strange feeling, but somehow everything 'synch's' - and the world stops. Its just the music and my heart pounding in tune.

There's no words on it to ruin the beautiful music.. its just pure & powerful music.

I enjoy Govi as much as Yanni.. and for those of you not familier with Yanni - check out the website at http://www.yanni.com and listen to some sample clips!

-g
Elaine

1st record fav songs

Post by Elaine »

Well my very first records bought myself was T rex born to Boogie :roll:
Slade cum on feel noise & Abba Waterloo got 3 for a £1 then!!!!!!!! many moons ago............ :shock:

I have lots favourite songs but some of them are:

Irene Cara- Fame reminds me my youthful years!! LOL

Spandaut Ballet - Gold smoochey n reminds me our early days me n hubby ahhhhhh :wink:

Take That - Bak for good :wink

Madonna :Crazy 4 u

George Michael - careless whispers top of charts wen I got married luv that song such happy memories wedding etc :roll: :wink:

Ahhhhhh well makes me feel old wen my kids say 'shes off again with her fogey music' LOL :lol:

Elaine UK :D :roll: :wink: :lol:
Pam

Post by Pam »

I love all types of contemporary Christian music like Steven Curtis Chapman and Avalon among many others-I listen to a Christian music station almost exclusively because it has music with meaning for me.
That's not to say I don't enjoy some other music-I love ABBA-almost anything they sing and wish they were still around. I also like the Carpenters...again, anything they have recorded. I can't say enough good things about Barry Manilow-I got to see him in concert a few times and all were wonderful shows! :D
I like "Weird Al"...he can be so funny with the parodies, which I love. There is also a Christian band (that does parodies of rock and pop songs) called Apologetix...I haven't been able to see them, but some of the song lyrics are so on target. They can make them funny and instantly recognizable, yet do not compromise the message of the Gospel. I also enjoy a lot of classical music-it seems to help me relax and it is beautiful.
As for films, I don't think drama and human emotion can get any better than "The Elephant Man". That movie always moves me to tears...John Hurt was EXCELLENT in his portrayal of John Merrick. I haven't seen too many movies in the past few years as none really appeal to me. :? :( I love the "oldies" (anything before 1950 for me!)-it doesn't matter if they are in color or B/W.
JMan, I have to say you come up with some diverse topics! :wink: It's enjoyable to see what everyone else likes in any area of life. It helps us to know each other better.
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
JMan

Post by JMan »

I'm glad you like the diverse topics.. after all we are all MORE than just kidney patients so why not post about stuff here:)
It breaks the ever presence of purely kidney topics as well:)

Now on the topic of comedy Music.. does anyone catch any of the online Radio comedy stations.

I have a couple patched in iTunes via live365.com (nope I don't have a subscription) http://www.live365.com/stations/davidtanny
or stream http://www.live365.com/play/44521?SaneI ... 2379983915 via your mp3 player.

The above is how I came across the 'Songs about kidney's thread' by the lovely Carla Ulbrich

and of course for goons fans there is http://goons.fabcat.org/

And now of course I have to add THIS:
http://www.zwartekat.demon.nl/the_ying_tong_song.mp3
Yep I am completly mad:) (you heard it last here folks)

I find these people http://www.thefrantics.com/ funny they are almost a Canadian version of the goons:)

Loads of other stuff out there.. I guess I'll run a seperate comedy thread sometime:D

BOOT TO THE HEAD.
Last edited by JMan on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Live to Fly
Andy

Post by Andy »

Well my favourite song. I have a few.
Nelly and Kelly- Dilemma. This was the first song I heard after I had "been woken up" and my mum loved it and it just reminds me of what I have come through!!
Shania Twain- You're still the one. It's mine and Jon's song.

And atm Natahsa Bedingfield - These words. I love it at the moment.

Oh another one is R Kelly- Worlds Greatest. This was another hospital song,because I used to listen to it when i was feeling down and when i wanted to get on with things and get out of hospital.

A song I dont like is one by Justin Timberlake, (cant think of songs name) cos it reminds me of the bad parts of hospital.

There are so many great songs, and a lot of lyrics have a story to tell in them also.

Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
amanda in CA

favourite songs

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, my all time favourite is 'Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong. It's a bit before my time but it reminds me of when I first had my transplant and I realised what a 'Wonderful World' we do live in (even if there are bad bits too). Amanda
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Ohhhhhhhh Jim what a question!!

I love so many songs but my favorites are :

Only just begun - Carpenters

Man Feel like a woman - shania Twain

Anything Luther Vandross!!

All the Take that Oldies!! :o

Wow takes me back!! LOL
ImageImage

Life is like a box of chocolates, you can never get enough
George

Post by George »

I have a passion for the original Mowtown Music 60s & 70s stuff. I have a favourite song that is soul not Mowtown and its by the most influential singer the world has ever known.
Ottis Reading Dock of the bay....pure magic.
R30

Favourite Stuff

Post by R30 »

Probably anything by the Beatles (played in our house when I was growing up), anything by ABBA (for same reasons), Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel (just a lovely song) and most stuff by David Gray.

As for favourite films: The Matrix; Bladerunner; Lord of The Rings 1 and 3 (wasn't too keen on 2); Aliens and 2001. Basically I love sci-fi stuff.

Comedy stuff: The Life of Brian (just hilarious); The Man with Two Brains; Airplane; Shrek and Shrek 2 (the cat in Shrek 2 - funniest thing I've seen on celluloid in years...)

Cheers
Ruth
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

The short answer regarding music...well I can't pinpoint a favorite song, but my favorite BAND of ALL time is Depeche Mode.

This is the current lineup...at one point, there were four members (Alan Wilder left the band in 1995).
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw