incompatible transplants

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

incompatible transplants

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I know this is not a kidney matter but it is amazing and I thought it was worthy of posting here.

It is a story about heart transplants in infants under 1 where they successfully transplanted hearts from imcompatible blood groups

worth a read I think

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/ ... 9225.shtml

mike
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

That is amazing.. I've just read it. They should get working on something like this for Kidneys. Johns Hopkins (Maryland, USA) is working on and has successfully transplanted "incompatible kidneys" in people. Based ont he theory that they technically cleanse the blood of certain antiboties in both the donor and recipient (plasmapharesis). However, I don't think incomppatible kidneys in babies has been tried. In a couple of years....
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."