Odd foods? What do you like to eat???

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Odd foods? What do you like to eat???

Post by JMan »

Right I have just had a single layer Red Dwarf for lunch (thats a fried egg chilli chutney sandwich to you (It works:)).

http://www.totalreddwarf.co.uk/recipies ... dwich.html

On my haemodialysis I used to eat strong cheddar and peanut butter sandwiches..

What odd foods do you like and why? :twisted:
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi Jman
No I don’t have any funny, odd, peculiar food tastes
But my now 24 year old daughter did back when she was a teenager, when her dad first saw her eating it he thought she had something to tell us :wink:

From the age of about 14/15 she would have a slice of toast with strawberry jam and then a processed cheese single on the top ……Yuk!!
When she did become pregnant even the thought of it made her feel sick Strange!!!!

But remember Jman you still have Rik to post on this dread to think :wink:

Take care
Sue
Xxx
:D :) :shock:
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Growing up I loved orange sandwiches. I would butter the bread - only butter would do - none of that fake stuff! Slice the orange place it on the bread. Sprinkle a little sugar over the orange and top with other slice of buttered bread. Yummy! Don't know what it was but something about the combination just excited me. I'm getting all hot and bothered at just the thought! OOPS! Sorry, - it's just a hot flash!

Can't wait to read Rik's contribution!

Anne
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

On hemo I haven't had much of an appetite... but for quite a while I subsided on macaroni or spaghetti and olive oil! I'd cook the noodles till they're really really soft, more like beyond soft, and then drizzle olive oil over it and then eat that soggy oily tasteless mess. Eaten with carrots. Another time it was rice. Or cottage cheese.

Another oddity - ever since I"ve read "the five little peppers and how they grew" - I was very intrigued with the "brown bread bit". Apparently, they were so poor, food was hard to come by. Bread was always hard. Once they got some butter - and the hard bread with the butter - whew! the author described it so well... it really gave me an apetite.

Since then, I enjoy hard cold bread. Yes, I do. I put bread in the toaster - or even in the toaster oven, till it gets way past the stage of toast. Then I let it cool, and harden, for about 20 minutes. And like that - its my absolute favorite way to eat bread. Old hard bread wouldn't do - fresh bread hardened in the oven (not on toaster mode) will do it perfect. Break off peices and dip them into cold butter - Mmmmmmmmmmm.

So yeah.. .. I've got lots of odd food tastes, but for the most part - what's odder - is HOW i eat. not WHAT i eat. I love to mush my food together. Eat everything in one bowl. This may gross you out, but if you're squeamish or easily nauseated, just stop reading.

If I'd have like steamed vegetables, soup, and chicken - i'd cut the chicken into peices, smash the vegetables, mix with the chicken bits, pour soup over it - or pour it all into the soup. Yeah. Toast and cottage cheese & fruit? I'd break the toast into peices, crumble it over the cheese, mash the fruit in. Food tastes better that way.

Anyway, you DON'T want to hear about all my food oddities, bc they'll blow your mind ;) So that's about it...

Ditto about rik's post. I'm sure he'll provide us with recipes of deviled or stir-fried kidneys, being the gourmet chef he is. ;)

~Rachel
Rik

Post by Rik »

quite like a bacon and brown sauce sarnie myself ;)

:0)
Pam

Post by Pam »

I really LOVE dill pickles-especially the tiny ones. I like to take some bread and put butter on it and sometimes a slice of American cheese and then sliced pickles on top. It's delicious! I also make a salad with baby carrots, dill pickles and sometime tomatoes and mushrooms...MMMMM! No lettuce for me! If my stomach is upset or I'm not feeling well, a peanut butter sandwich (chunky, not smooth) :wink: with a glass of Coca Cola is comforting.
I recently "found" no fat sour cream and I like the baked Doritos with this-a snack with very low fat and calories. For a dessert, I like pudding cups frozen in the freezer-so refreshing on a hot day!
When I was a kid, my sisters and I would make potato chip sandwiches-just put a layer of the chips on a slice of bread and top it with another slice. :) We also made sugar sandwiches the same way. We'd take all our "treats" out under the persimmon tree in our yard and have a picnic. Kids will eat the weirdest food combinations but they turn their noses up at anything that is good for them. :roll:
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I'm with Pam on the potato chip sandwiches - and condensed milk sandwiches, must be white bread though. And condensed milk on digestive biscuits, mmmmm. And tea drunk through Penguin biscuits... if you bite off both ends then dip one end in a cup of hot tea and use the biscuit as a straw. Haven't done that since I was really young though and we got caught and mum stopped buying us chocolate biscuits.....
Anne in Va

To Pam and Lorna

Post by Anne in Va »

Boy you guys are really bringing back memories of my childhood. I loved cheese sandwiches but with Branston Pickle with those lovely brown pickled onions. Sooooo good! Also made sandwiches of potato chips/crisps - especially salt and vinegar with ketchup spread on the bread. Also sandwiches with French Fries/Chips and, of course, ketchup! That was one way to get my daily allowance of veggies! Oh, and sucking tea through chocolate biscuits/cookies - Heaven! Oh, and condensed milk. Isn't that supposed to be eaten with a spoon - a big one? I also loved it cooked into toffee - again use a spoon! Speaking of spoons, I loved to keep a container of cream in the fridge and every so often [every minute or two] enjoyed a luscious spoonful. Oh Boy! Now I know why my kidneys failed!!!
christineDC

Food combos

Post by christineDC »

Maybe not so weird.
Bacon and raspberry jam on toast - YUMMMY

Pickles and chip 'sandwiches"

Junior Mints and Popcorn all mixed together (ok to throw in jujubes too) for the movies
Rik

Post by Rik »

OK OK .. apart from Bacon sandwhiches ...

as a kid one of my favourite sandwiches was dripping from the roasting tin ... (especially when it had the lovely jelly underneath!!) ... sprinkled with black pepper ...
it was always on a sunday evening when the roasting tin had been left to cool down and it was shared between my dad and myself ... :)

unfortunately one day midweek once I thought I was being clever and made a pile of sandwiches packed with shop bought lard ... (well I didnt know the difference did I!!!!) ... believe me I havent forgotten that first mouthful as I started to chew!!!! :shock: :( :!: :!: :cry:
lard sandwiches are NOT on my suggested list of favourites let me assure you ... URGHK!!!!!!! ...
Goldie

drippings...drippings.. jelly...

Post by Goldie »

hmmmm.. .that reminds me of this. I always used to love when my mom made baked apples.. and in the process they'd sometimes leak juice.. well after taking the pan out of the oven.. and letting it cool.. the juice would dry to this tart sour, but tasty, jelly. I'd scrape it out of the pan with a fork. Mmmmmm. Delicous! I always wondered why they don't SELL something like that. Tart sour tangy apple jelly?
kim

Post by kim »

I used to love to have waffles, smeared with peanut butter, chocolate syrup and ice cream :D Not necessarily the healthiest choice...probably why I don't eat that anymore. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone trying to diet.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh cheese I miss you so......

I haven't had any cheese for months, I used to eat loads of cheese until phosphate became a problem.

Mmmmm toasted cheese & pickle sarnies.. :D

might be bad tonight and stop by tescos and buy a little bit :twisted:

and rik :D :D :D

mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

I also like hot wheat cereal (farina/oatmeal, etc) to be eaten cold, with as many lumps as possible. The same for pudding. The lumpier the better. Recently I even learnt a tip as to how to make my farina come out lumpier. So the lumpier the better (yummy lumps) and warm to room temp - NOT hot. So conjealed, lumpy, cooled, hot cereal. MMMmmmmmmmmm.

I like pizza eaten at room temperture as well, and soup too. I guess I don't like hot foods eaten hot. Warm, DELICIOUS, room temperture, even better.

~R
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

The one thing I really can't stand eating now is steak and kidney pie! Just the very thought of it makes me feel sick. Would you believe that was the first proper meal I was offered after my transplant :? , no wonder I had no appetite.