PD tube op

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

PD tube op

Post by Mike »

Hi

I had my appointment with the surgeon this morning for the operation to do my PD tube. I was so nervous waiting to be seen as I've never had an operation before!! He was really nice and put my mind at ease but I should be having the operation in about 4 weeks time :shock:

I've been feeling so crap the last few days and I have been getting very bad dizzy spells which my gp said should settle down once I'm on PD but it's making me so stressed, my blood pressure is so up and down.I've been getting either headaches or the dizzy spells and it could be up to 6 months before they start me on PD, it's so hard to deal with I understand that this is how it feels but I haven't been out with my friends for so long as I'm just so tired in the evening that if I do go I don't enjoy it :cry:

It's so hard, I feel fairly good for the first couple of hours after getting up but I soon feel crap and spend all day yawning.

sorry for the moaning it's just getting me down so badly, I find it hard to cope with sometimes

mike :( :( :(
Rach

Post by Rach »

Hi Mike,

I know just how your feeling as i'm going through it as well. I'm waiting for my PD tube to be put in and will be seeing the surgeon in 2 weeks.

The worst thing is all this hanging around. You know you will have to start dialysis at some point but you just don't know when. So all you do is feel worse as time goes by and to be told your not feeling quite bad enough to go onto dialysis yet. So frustrating !!! :(

Anyway enough doom & gloom. Try and keep smiling and hopefully as everyone here says its not half as bad as you think its going to be.

Take Care :D
Love
Rach
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Rachael? You are going back to pd???

-Rachel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Rach,

I know that I'm not the only one to be going through this. my brother has been through it all and worse and he's been on HD for 12 years or so. I just spoke to him and he cheered me up a bit but I'm at work at the moment and just don't want to be here so that makes me feel worse.

I just wanted to say thank you, you're very kind and I hope you feel better soon.

mike :D
R30

PD Tube Op

Post by R30 »

Hi Mike
I had the PD tube op just a couple of months back and I can honestly say that despite having a few problems since, I feel better than I have done for some time. My energy has returned, and I feel a lively 34 year old again. Life on dialysis is fine as I make my PD fit around whatever else I have to do (I dialysed in a field by the sea last weekend...)
Keep your chin up - it's not really so bad, and the operation itself is a piece of cake. Very minor post-op pain which I sorted with a couple of tablets of co-codamol.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Ruth
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Sorry Rach - I confused you with yet ANOTHER Rachael on the board. Elaine's Rach.

Good luck..

-rachel
Elaine

Rachel NY ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya sooooooo many Rachels/ Rachaels sooooo popular eh?/ LOL

Don't worry Rachel (NY) we all get confused at itimes LOL :roll: :shock:

Prob confusion cos my daughter Rach also been on p/d 18mnths but had to have cath removed n started on haemo. Shes doin ok though ;)

Anyhow Rach good luck with u P/D tube sure u be fine ;) let us know how u get on!! :lol:

best wishes Elaine Rachs mum UK :wink: :roll:
Bruce

PD tube op

Post by Bruce »

Mike--
Just read your post. I had my PD catheter inserted a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake. I was in and out of the hospital and home in about 6 hours. They put a shot of sleepy juice in my IV and I woke up in the recovery room with a tube hanging out of my belly. No pain. I just started CAPD and I'm learning to deal with it.

Good luck. The surgery is the easy part.

Bruce
Elaine

Bruce ;)

Post by Elaine »

Glad 2 hear everything went well with u insertion p/d tube;)

Im sure u be fine wen time comes to start p/d best wishes Elaine ;)

:roll: :lol: :D :o
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Elaine,

I've not actually had the op yet, I'm due to have in sometimes next months but not sure when.

Mike
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Mike,

Good luck with your operation. I'm sure it will go fine for you.

I am doing APD (machine at night) and manage to get on well with my normal life altough I do get tired quite a lot (but doesn't everybody?)

Hal.