Financial Help

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

pamom2

Financial Help

Post by pamom2 »

I am all set to have my transplant. My sister has went thru all the tests and is a perfect match(Thank God). We are having a problem and any advice would be appreciated. She has a good paying job and has 5 weeks of paid sick time accumulated but she will be off for 8 weeks after the surgery. She needs a certain amount of money to live and pay her bills for those 3 weeks that she won't be paid for. We contacted one organization but they start at $10,000.00 and we are far from needing that much. Does anyone know of any charity or organization that could help me? Thanks!
Pam

Post by Pam »

I am happy that you are getting a transplant! With all that you and your sis will be dealing with, you surely don't need to worry about finances...ask your renal social worker if he/she knows of any charitable organizations or ways that your sis can be helped. A renal social worker should be able to at least direct you to some sources of assistance and/or support.
Take care of yourself and let us know when the date for your surgery is. My prayers are with you both!
-Pam :)
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Hi Pamom2-

Congratulations & good luck. Aside for the organizations that are already in existence, and various state/city programs - there's something else you can do. Depending on where you live, and what sort of a neighborhood you have - perhaps you can throw a party? People do that here from time to time when they are trying to raise money. You can print up flyers and posters.. plaster your story all over the place, try to get coverege in the news - in local papers. Perhaps a charity bb-q - where everyone comes and pays for a plate. You can maybe get local area stores to donate things you'll need for it. It takes alot of organizing - but people are very generous, and you CAN raise some money that way.

~Rachel