cycler

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

leroy0600

cycler

Post by leroy0600 »

hi everyone it's me agian i started the cycler on 7-30-04 so far things are going well feeling a lot better still get tired had iron iv injection on 8-4-04 another one today 8-9-04 nurse said it will take couple of weeks to make a difference
Elaine

Hiya Leroy ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya so u eventually started on cycler hope all goin well. Anaemia very common woth renal failure :cry: i.v iron does help and yeh iom sure as nurse sed few times i.v iron u start feelin better etc ;)

good luck best wishes Elaine Uk ;) :roll: :wink: :lol:
Cheryl in CT

iron & energy...

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Leroy-

So glad to hear that you have the cycler up and running - it's going to make a HUGE difference for you, I know.

As for the iron - yes, that will undoubtedly make a big difference, too. When I was pre-transplant, I had all the energy of a slug.... I was taking iron pills, but studies have shown that iron pills don't have anywhere near the effectiveness in renal patients as do actual iron injections or infusions.
They switched me to injections - and weekly infusions - along with Epo 3x a week, which together made a substantial difference.

Here's some info that was given to me in the months pre-transplant, when anemia (AND that lack of energy!) was a big issue for me:

"If your blood is low in red blood cells, you have anemia. Red blood cells carry oxygen (O2) to tissues and organs throughout your body and enable them to use the energy from food. Without oxygen, these tissues and organs--particularly the heart and brain--may not do their jobs as well as they should. For this reason, if you have anemia, you may tire easily and look pale. Anemia may also contribute to heart problems.

"Anemia is common in people with kidney disease. Healthy kidneys produce a hormone called erythropoietin, or EPO, which stimulates the bone marrow to produce the proper number of red blood cells needed to carry oxygen to vital organs. Diseased kidneys, however, often don't make enough EPO. As a result, the bone marrow makes fewer red blood cells. Other common causes of anemia include loss of blood from hemodialysis and low levels of iron and folic acid. These nutrients from food help young red blood cells make hemoglobin (Hgb), their main oxygen-carrying protein.

"If you have lost at least half of normal kidney function (serum creatinine greater than 2 mg/dL) and have a low Hct, the most likely cause of anemia is decreased EPO production. (Hematocrit [Hct] = the percentage of the blood that consists of red blood cells.) Many people with kidney disease need both EPO and iron supplements to raise their Hct to a satisfactory level. If your iron levels are too low, EPO won't help and you'll continue to experience the effects of anemia."

Leroy, I guess the best thing I can say about all of it is that you're not alone with the energy issues - BUT - there is also help to make things better! Even with all the iron infusions & Epo, I never did attain "nomal" energy levels myself, but at least the combination DID help me get out of bed every day! I do know the iron will help give you a boost, especially now that you have the cycler going. I hope you're getting Epo, too, if your neph has determined you need it - in combination, they should help do the trick for you.

Do take care, and know that we're thinking about you & pulling for you!

all the best,
Cheryl