Transplant Medication

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

R30

Transplant Medication

Post by R30 »

I wonder if anyone in the UK can answer a question I have regarding transplant medication. I am due to undergo a live transplant in September, and no one seems to be able to tell me whether or not I will have to pay for my medication after my operation. Currently, I have a medical exemption certificate as I have a catheter for dialysis, but I am assuming this exemption ends once I have my operation. Neither my consultant nor my pharmacist could tell me.
Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ruth
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi
When me and my husband went to our open day at his hospital we were told once transplanted you have to pay for your prescriptions (which by the way I think is wrong)
But I read on a website not sure if it was nhs site that if you have certain things you can still be exempt one of the things was a fistula but I’m sure there will be many others on this board who will help
Sue
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Ruth,
I do not have to pay for my perscriptions post Tx but that is because i am in full time education and under 25 or 21 which ever it is!!!
But my friend who has had a Tx has to pay for his medication.
cheers
Andy
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Ruth,

I believe you have to pay unless you are on certain benefits such as income support or are under 18 and under in full time education.

However, you can pay around £30.00 per quarter or £90.00 per year for a pre payment certificate which should cover all your prescriptions I believe ... so you are only paying a tiny percentage of the medications.

Hal.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Hal's right, I have a prepayment card which covers all of my presciptions and it costs me £ 91.80 a year otherwise it would cost me more than £50 every couple of months. definately worth considering.

I agree that we shouldn't have to pay for drugs post transplant but I doubt that will ever happen. I've got a feeling that the exemption certificate is valid for 5 years but I may be wrong?

mike
Last edited by Mike on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Ruth...
unfortunately like all the others have said ... transplantees have to pay for their prescriptions ... unless you can find a handy exemption clause ...
I still smugly show my exemption card each time I go pick up my prescription ...
did you get an exemption card?? and if so when does it run out?? ... cant you use it til it runs out?? not that I would personally do such a thing myself :roll:
R30

Transplant Meds

Post by R30 »

Hi Rik
Thanks to you and everyone else for the postings.
I have an exemption card that expires in 2009, but that is dependent on me having a catheter so I assume that once I've had the op it doesn't apply anymore.
You're right - I wouldn't dream of using an exemption card unlawfully.... :lol: !!!
Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

give the NKF Helpline a call.. they have some info on this IIRC.

Contact details as follows:

http://www.kidney.org.uk/main/helpline.html

0845 601 02 09
(charged at LOCAL CALL RATE, UK only)

basically its reasonable to get at least 6 - 12 months worth post transplant or however long it takes you to get 'back to normal'
You can of course claim it as usual on other things that might be affected such as low income, incapacity benefit etc..

Basically anything that allows help with NHS costs. See CAB website for more information http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nm/index/ ... rtificates
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast