Piercings

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Piercings

Post by Andy »

Hi All,
Just wondering has any body had any piercing done post Transplant? I really want the top of my ear done but I have been advised not to do it, cos of infections and stuff- But surely if i took good care of it, it wouldnt be such a bad idea!!!

Cheers
Take Care

Andy
x x x
susie

Piercings

Post by susie »

Well it's a risk you don't have to take - you can get quite nasty infections and your immune system is lower due to post-transplant drugs. If you have to do it wash the site regularly with antiseptic or at least salt water until it is properly healed- and be careful of where you get the piercing done - make sure it's a very sterile environment.
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

it would be a lousy idea, Andy. But, then, wouldn't an old git like me think so, anyway. I did, however, have a pony tail until a year ago but I always drew the line at sticking bits of metal in my face. Trouble is, you start with an ear and end up with them in your eyelids [looking like cysts], in your nose [lke a pig being led to market], in your tongue [ouch!] and in various other and more private parts of your anatomy from which I would like to shield our more sensitive members.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Andy..

I'd agree with Susie.. the risk is as much as having any other puncture in your skin and sterility and after care is important. You are at more risk than the rest of the population due to immune suppression.
I'm sure you've been told that there's a potential risk of infection and loss of kidney in a worst case scenario.

Piercing isn't something I've gone in for myself though I can certainly see its attraction.

If you are having it done at least tell your unit this (it is after all your decision) and ask them for the best advice for after care. and DO make sure that the place you go to uses sterile equipment (most use sterile disposables for ears these days) If you've made the decision I'd at least expect them to be supportive of it once made rather than trying to argue with you.

I would think they'd advise something similar to any other wound care eg, cleaning with antiseptic (eg betadine, and or saline) and using sterile materials such as sterilised gauze after normal washing.

hope this helps some.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Andy,

Top of the ear is especially bad in my experience. Its hard tissue and so it doesn't heal so well.

I got the top of my ear pierced about 5 years ago. After a few months it got all yucky and I had to take it out. I still have a little lump from it now.

And this is when I was completely healthy with no kidney issues.

So basically I wouldn't recommend it ... if your gonna do it anyway - be careful!

Take Care,

Hal
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Andy-
I had my ears pierced post-transplant, but it was in the lobe and I took care to disinfect and clean it several times a day. I have had them pierced three times (all in the lobes) and never had any infections or problems, but I also have been told that in the cartilage part of the ear you might have a lot of scar tissue and infection is always a bigger problem for us than for the general population.
I am older now (and I hope wiser! :wink: ) and do not wear earrings a lot anymore. If you just have to have a piercing, get it in the lobe of your ear and get someone who knows how to do it-for goodness sake, DO NOT pierce it yourself or have a friend do it! :roll:
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Andy

Post by Andy »

Well, I have thought about it now, and i already have the lobe of my ear piecred twice. had this done a number of years ago, but the top of my ear just appeals to me. But I have ben thinking about it and I think I may leave it purely cos, i nearly lost the top of my ear when I was ill. So for now I think I will leave it pass.

Cheers
Andy