diabetes following transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Alex

diabetes following transplant

Post by Alex »

Following a Transplant three and half years ago my wife has been diagnosed with diabetes. Is this likely to cause future complications to the transplant or is this just another unfortunate disadvantage of the medication she has to take?
andrea

Post by andrea »

I have also been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes nearly 4 years after my transplant. The main culprits medication-wise are the steroids. See if your wife's consultant will reduce her steriods to as low as possible if not stop them altogether. That with compliance with any tablets and diet should help minimise any future problems.
Bruce

diabetes

Post by Bruce »

Hello:

I am not a transplant, but I am a diabetic. One of the many problems that diabetes can cause is kidney disease. Because of diabetes I have low kidney function and I'm on PD. My advice is to be very careful with your diet and keep your blood sugars as low as possible. Diabetes can't be cured but it usually can be controlled. You can learn to live on a diabetic diet and keep your new kidney as long as possible.

Good luck. --Bruce