Fistula's and Dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

msdiva

Fistula's and Dialysis

Post by msdiva »

Hello everyone, I have an appointment with my Nephrologist on 30 July 04, I just went to the lab and got my recent lab work, and my clearance now is down to 8ml my creatinine is 5.7 and my BUN is 53, im pretty sure he's (my neph) will suggest inserting a fistula so i can prepare for diaylsis, How long will it take for my fistula to heal, I work now, and how long will it take after starting diaylisis will I be able to return to work, i understand everyone is different, just a general ideal will at least give me a clue. Will i be sick to my stomach when i first begin diaylsis? Do you loose weight, will i get the perpetual "swollen face" look. I'm choosing to do home dialysis. It's funny though, i thought when i got to this point i would be scared, but being in this support group has actually prepared me more for whats going to happen then my own doctors. I've come to accept my illness and live the best life i can live with it. So any anwsers will be greatly appreciated. I really want the "real" nitty gritty stuff i should expect...not too big on surprises, if you know what i mean.
kel.

Post by kel. »

hello,

I have a fistula and it healed pretty quickly it hurt for a couple of days but nothing too bad. When I first started dialysis I was never sick but i did used to get very intense head aches but they stopped after a couple of weeks. But everyone reacts differently, I have seen people just starting dialysis and vomiting the whole way through.

But its nothing to worry about, I hope everything goes ok for you.

Kel x :lol:
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hiya

Your unlikely to get a swollen face look from dialysis if you do things right :)

As to the fistula... the formation process is important, and you should get full care instructions on it and how to exercise it to make it develop properly.. Its painful but its more like... a really bad bruise or graze or something.. at least thats how I remember it..

I've had my fistula for 10 years and only once had a major problem with it (I've been pretty lucky in that respect.) I spent 9 years on heamo so PM me if you want to ask me more:)

Cheers
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast