Advice please on protecting a fistula in a physical job

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

elizzynew412

Advice please on protecting a fistula in a physical job

Post by elizzynew412 »

My employer is concerned I may bump my arm after I've had an operation to form a fistula in my right arm at the elbow. I'm due to see a consultant end of Demeber but would welcome any comments from experienced haemo patients doing a physically demanding job.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Advice please on protecting a fistula in a physical job

Post by JMan »

There should be some people:)

Generally heavy lifting really isn't advised, and basically at your own discretion when the fistula has fully matured (about 6 months, in my opinion anyway).

I can lift a 5 litre can of dialysate, but not repeatedly and nor carry for a long distance.. Used to lug stock up 3 flights of stairs (main storage was in the cellar of my parents house!)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi elizzynew412,

The advise is not to lift with that arm until all is healed up, say 5-6 weeks, after that, avoid heavy loads, and knocks on that arm.
Without knowing what your work is like it is difficult to say more, you could phone your consultants secretary, asking if the consultant or vascular surgeon could offer some advice quickly.

Once the fistula is in use, the general advice is the same, with the added risk of starting a needling site bleeding if it is hit, there are arm guards used in some industries, which I think would shield the fistula against damage from knocks.

When I am working in the garden or on the car, I always have my shirt sleeve fastened down at the cuff, to help keep muck off, and a bit of protection from knocks, and sharp things.
elizzynew412

Post by elizzynew412 »

Thanks. I'm shelf filling, including pots of paint. I'll ask about an arm guard. I reckon I'll be OK when it's matured up to 2.5L but and as occasional 5l but not 10l tins.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I would have been happy with that but do see what your vascular surgeon has to say, they do err on the cautious side.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

There are a few products that are a bit like 'support sleeves' for fistulas. Mostly shipped from the USA I think.. I've never used one myself but they seem to add some protection.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2442315 ... ver-sleeve