Newbie question posting on behalf of my dad.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dawnyosb

Newbie question posting on behalf of my dad.

Post by Dawnyosb »

Hi

How is everyone?

My dad is currently receiving dialysis as he is now in acute kidney failure. He has Nephrotic syndrome which he has had for 50 years. He is a medical miracle to have lived so long with it but he has... but ultimately his kidneys have now failed. Earlier this year he got a quadruple heart bypass due to calcium built up in the arteries in his heart because his kidneys are not filtering it away. He also has a ulcerated toe... which brings me to this forum. Yesterday he was at the hospital for scan to check his circulation and they have noticed a lesion on his kidney which they suspect in cancerous. Its another blow. I need some advice? Anyone experiencing this just now? What is the realistic outlook? We have been told he will now never get a kidney if it is cancerous and can you have chemo while on dialysis? Any input would be great.

thanks for listening

Dawn
wagolynn

Re: Newbie question posting on behalf of my dad.

Post by wagolynn »

All these questions are best directed to the medical team looking after him.
If you ask they will tell you but they are not clairvoyants so you need to ask.

He should be on a diet if he is on dialysis, one factor of which is very much reduced calcium intake. (very little or no dairy products)

I know of people who have had chemo whilst on dialysis, and they have now had a transplant and are OK.

Best wishes to you and dad.