T2 diabetes

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Cornflake

T2 diabetes

Post by Cornflake »

Hello everyone!
Just joined and wondering if there are any other transplantees who have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and what meds they take, what their blood sugar levels are like, diet/carb control and so on.
cathys8

Re: T2 diabetes

Post by cathys8 »

Hi cornflake.
I got diagnosed with T2 about a month after my tranplant with blood sugar of 14. My transplant team reduced my pred from 5mg to 2.5mg and subsequently to 1mg per day. I watch my carb in-take, eating typically about 90g of carbs per day. This keeps my blood sugar in a range of about 4.5-7.5 with my HBA1C in the mid thirties. This carb reduction diet was not particularly recommended by my consultant but he is not opposed to it either. My dietician would like me to eat approx 110g carbs per day but i find this pushes my sugar up. They both recommended i keep an eye on my protein in-take. Obs you should discuss any diet changes with your team.

I was on metformin for a few months at the start but not taking meds for diabetes now.
I found the diabetes.co.uk website really helpful. I am nearly 5 years post transplant and everything going great. If you've any other questions just shout.

Cathy
40 yr old with Alports syndrome
CAPD since Sept 13
Nov 2012 - listed for transplant
27 Mar 2014 - I got the call!!