Bicarb etc Not Reported on PatientView

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Birdman

Bicarb etc Not Reported on PatientView

Post by Birdman »

I asked about this several years ago, when I was on PD. Now I am on HD at my local hospital, I still find that several of my blood test results are not showing on PV. I am on sodium bicarbonate tablets, so want to keep an eye on my Bicarb level. But it is "not available" on PV. For this (and some other results) I have to ask at my unit, and I really hate to keep bothering them. The PV administrator (not at my hospital which is a satellite) seems to think it is PV's fault. But PV says "“It will show as long as your unit is sending the value to PatientView. You'd need to check with them that this is the case.”

I am going round in circles. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to get it corrected? Does anyone from PV read posts on this forum does anyone know?

On another matter, thank you to everyone who has sent me best wishes for my upcoming parathyroidectomy. It is at last scheduled for 24th September; fingers crossed the date holds. :wink:
MandyA

Re: Bicarb etc Not Reported on PatientView

Post by MandyA »

Hi Birdman,

I get my bicarbonate results on Patientview.

Neil Turner is a nephrologist in Edinburgh who works on Patientview, and he is a member of this forum (username nturner).

Good luck with your parathyroidectomy.

Mandy
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Some consultants do not like the patients having all the blood results for many reasons.

I would ask someone (unit manager ?) at your unit to check with pathology, they may have left Sodium off because they thought it was of no use to patients or because they had been told not to pass it on.

Patient View are really only show what they are given.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

wagolynn wrote:Some consultants do not like the patients having all the blood results for many reasons.
Blood results can be dangerous in the wrong hands :-)

My GP got accidentally copied in on my results. He immediately phoned me at home and told me I should go to A&E straight away. I reluctantly did so and, after queuing for several hours, was told, "Oh yes, your blood results are a bit of a train wreck, but they've been pretty consistent for the last year, so don't worry about it."