Cardiff to Bristol for services. what a disgrace

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

franktalk

Cardiff to Bristol for services. what a disgrace

Post by franktalk »

Has anyone had trouble with trips to and from Bristol, as there are no services in South Wales? I have had to take my son to and from Bristol hospital three times a week for the past two weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any news on how long until Cardiff has a facility like Bristol?
How long have people been going to Bristol and what is the best way for them.
Fast replys would be appreciated so I can tell my son how long he will have to make the trips when he ges home from school.
Elaine

hello ;)

Post by Elaine »

Have read u post. We too attend Bristol for haemo 3 x weekly about 1 hr travelling each way- although not from Wales. Yes I have heard that HOPEFULLY Cardiff may have renal services available in new childrens' hospital they are building? Fingers crossed 4 u :wink: Yeh travelling can be tiring especially if kids arn't feeling too well. Staff are working very hard trying to cope with all kids requiring haemo etc. But somewhere nearer to home i'm sure would be very appreciated for many people like uselves.

maybe see u @ Bristol sometime? good luck & best wishes Elaine uk.

:wink: :lol: :P :shock: :D :wink:
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Frank, i am not sure if you watched the Welsh news earlier today but they are hoping to built a unit in the New childrens Hospital which is built on the Heath Hospital site.
I know it is a long journey but i'm sure it is a worth while one and hoepfully one day we will have the same facilities as they have in England. As we all know the state of the NHS is not a good one any how so of course it will always depend on whether they can staff the unit, and of course fund the unit.
Lets hope that the children of Wales will soon have the dialysis facilities available to them.

Andy