Levels of PTH

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lizzyie

Levels of PTH

Post by lizzyie »

My levels of PTH and calcium have always been elevated since my transplant in 2009. It has been over 200 in the past but my last level said 13.46.... I’m not too sure what that means. Has anyone had a raised PTH for years?
I worry about the calcium too, I used to take vitamin D but they stopped that years ago because my calcium went up.
I am 62 and worry about my bones etc. Also I have pain in my foot with a calcium spur that has grown, they say it’s not the high calcium level that’s caused it.
Has anyone got any info on levels please, thanks.
wagolynn

Re: Levels of PTH

Post by wagolynn »

This website has some information that should be of use, Click on the link, and scroll down the page:

http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/bl ... isease.php

PTH 13.46 looks as though that is 13.46 mg/dl (13.46 milligrams / decilitre) from the above web page - the normal range is 15 - 30 mg/dl
Yours looks a bit low, and may be the reason why your Calcium is high.

I think high calcium is not a good thing because Calcium can get deposited in places where it should not be, e.g. Muscle, blood vessels etc.

I think I would be asking questions of my medical team, what are the long term consequences, and what can be done about it?

NB. I am not a medic just a kidney patient.

Best wishes
lizzyie

Post by lizzyie »

Thanks for your reply Wagolynn, the measurement is in pmol/l that’s why I’m confused, I can find no reference to that measurement online......I will keep looking!
Thanks again
per156

Post by per156 »

Hi Lizzyie !
The increase in calcium and pth is caused by over-active parathyrea glands and for your bone-health it is most important to get these values into the tolerance window.
I guess your doctor follows one of two paths to achieve this:

1. Medication with Mimpara (cinacalcet) and D-vitamines
2. Gland removal by surgery

http://unitslab.com/index.php/node/130

This is one link for pth-conversion, your result 13,46 in pmol/l seems to be around 127 mg/dl which corresponds well to your previous level of 200
Pls discuss further with your doc !

Best regrds
Per