Prograf versus Neoral (cyclosporin)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

Prograf versus Neoral (cyclosporin)

Post by nycpetit »

Can anyone tell me if there's a benefit to one of these over the other? I was told I would take pred, Rappamune, and then cyclo..but I could take Prograf if I preferred...can anyone tell me anything more on this??

Thanks
natalie
SteveUK

immunosupressants

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Natalie

I'm no expert, but my neph told me that, Prograf and Neoral are very similar. They are both still nephrotoxic, but they work in different ways, and come in different quantities. Like all medications, they affect different people, differently.

Hope this helps, though I'm sure that someone else will give you a more detailed explanation.

Steve :)
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
rosa t

Post by rosa t »

I came off neoral a few weeks ago after 6 months. I was taking it for nephrotic syndrome. I guess you have a different prosective if it is following a transplant.

The neoral has had a toxic effect on my kidneys I now have chronic renal failure and treamtent has now stopped.

The neoral affects people differently. I had sickness, tremors, lots of hair growth, burning in hamds and feet etc.

You cant deny it's positive attributes but it is toxic and all medicines are, so you can ony have guidance and hope you make the right choice.

:)