Coping with water retentiion.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bee

Coping with water retentiion.

Post by Bee »

Hi, new to the forum! I have a recent lowered egfr of 16 and had previously managed swelling in legs and feet with diuretics but now I have been tokd not to take these. Swelling as I type! Does anyone have tips on how to reduce/avoid swelling?
wagolynn

Re: Coping with water retentiion.

Post by wagolynn »

It does sound odd stopping the diuretics, did they tell you why?

You could start to manage your fluid intake, I would suggest you do not go below 1 litre per day without medical advice.

You can weigh yourself say every 24hrs (at about the same time) to see how you are doing, the majority of any weight change will be due to water.
You will not see a strict correlation between fluid intake and weight but it should give some idea of what you are doing.
Your body makes water in converting food into energy, many foods stuffs contain water, and of course you loose fluid in respiration and perspiration.

It helps to get your feet above your bum when sitting as much as possible, this does not get rid of the fluid but moves it away from your ankles.
Exercise should, help to remove some fluid via the lymphatic system, into the blood stream giving your kidneys a chance to remove it.
Bee

Re: Coping with water retentiion.

Post by Bee »

Hi and thanks for your reply. My doctor took me off my diuretics as I had a chest infection and my function had dipped.
I will certainly try out your suggestions.
Thank you.