Long term Calcitriol/Rocaltrol

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Long term Calcitriol/Rocaltrol

Postby debbie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:17 am

Is anyone on calcitriol long term? I've been on it daily for 6 months and every other day before that for nearly a year. Originally I took it to suppress my PTH, I had a second lot of PT surgery in March which has failed again as PTH is not only present in my neck but somewher else which hasn't been found. I have a lot of bone damage now and need my knees replaced asap but cannot undergo the surgery whilst the PTH is wrecking my bones still. I am getting concerned about long term use of calcitriol and would appreciate some opinions please. Thanks
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:40 am
Location: West Sussex. UK

Postby Gilly » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:30 pm

Calcitriol is a vitamin D supplement and is used in cases like ours to regulate the on/off button on the PT Gland. I take alphacalcidol every dyalisis day, I used to take it every day, which is the same thing, I believe. I have had one op on my neck but am awaiting a second op on my chest as that is where they found a fifth gland below the breast bone.
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Postby LadySycamore » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:46 pm

Hello debbie.

The only thing that I can think of is that if your calcium levels started getting too high. At that point, your doctor should take you off of the medication.

I don't know if this is available in the UK yet, but does your doc know about a medication called Sensipar? It has been approved here in the States, and it's supposed to not only lower the PTH, but the phosphorus and calcium too.

Official Site:

Drug Name: Sensipar (cinacalcet):

Perhaps you can ask about this to your doctor and see what he/she says.

Good luck.
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA

Return to The KPG Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests