Renal bIopsy Patient Experiences

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

LAVANYA

Renal bIopsy Patient Experiences

Post by LAVANYA »

Hi, My mom has developed nephrotic syndrome and has been adviced renal biopsy.Has anyone undergone a renal biopsy?Can you post your experiences here.
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

Yes, I did. Piece of cake. slightly uncomfortable, but no pain.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Unpleasant but not really painful.. There are some risks that are explained to you before the procedure, but they are fairly small (on the whole) I presume she is having a biopsy of her own kidney? (I've only ever had biopsies of my transplant). Biopsy is a 100% way of confirming diagnosis.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Robin in Hungary

biopsy

Post by Robin in Hungary »

I found my biopsy rather interesting, actually.

I was put face down on a table, one doctor determined the place with an ultrasonic scanner, another put in a needle (a foot long, I'd swear!). They took three samples, from just one kidney, in my case. They were checked under a microscope while I was on the table, so they could be redone if needed.

All I had to do was lie there on my stomach (they put a support somewhere uncomfortable - under the base of the rib cage?) and not move at all. I heard that they often tell you to stop breathing for an uncomfortably long period, but in my case I took deep regular breaths with long pauses on each end, and they seemed to use the pauses. It didn't hurt.

The thing I hated was spending the next 8 hours flat on my back - what a relief when I was allowed to turn on my side! And the bedpan - they were waiting for a nice urine sample, not bloody - and my bladder refused to cooperate till almost midnight (biopsy in early morning). 24 hours in bed, in all, to let everything settle down and start healing.

For a few days after that, there was some pain if I turned or stretched in the wrong position, but nothing special - like a pulled muscle, maybe.

It's absolutely standard procedure, and they can't make a proper diagnosis without it. Your mother won't have any problems, don't worry.

Robin in Hungary
nycpetit

Biopsy

Post by nycpetit »

I have had two..the first in Antwerp, Belgium, the second in NY. The one in Europe, I had to stay overnight, in the US..I was in and out in an hour..yea, no joke. The insurance is terrible here, they may as well have done it on the front lawn...I went in at ten, and fifteen minutes after..they sat me up..checked my blood pressure, and had be walk out into the waiting room to get changed..bloody and all...with the gown on....bizarre country this is. In any case...at the end of the day..it's really not an uncomfortable procedure..it's so fast...I also waited on the table while they did a few samples...I think four the second biopsy...and you feel a mild pinching when they take it out..but just a local anesthesia..not a bad ordeal at all....in Europe they had me lie on a sandbag for about eight hours, and then leave the next morning..no getting out of bed..here in the US...I was in and out in two hours...and walking up four flights of stairs to get to my apt. after riding over the potholes of NYC streets....

any wonder why we have so many malpractice suits in the US? :lol: Everything's like fast food...in an out..no waiting...haste makes waste

Nat
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,
I think I must of been very unlucky! I had excruciating pain which came on about 30 minutes after the biopsy was completed, i complained to the nurse who eventually got some coproxamol which i took then was promptly sick. My blood pressure just kept going up and up and the pain was getting worse .

after more complaining they put a line in and gave me morphine which was instant relief but caused my blood pressure to go through the floor and i passed out :shock:

I wasn't allowed to move for something like 8 hours and they wouldn't let me sit up until i had passed some urine which i found really difficult and after having drunk pints and pints of water it was getting a bit painful!

I left in the morning with no more than a gentle ache which was gone in a couple of days
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Hi my first one was kinda like everyone said. i lied down, and had to breathe in and out and hold my breath, etc. I did feel slightly painful sensations with each pass of the needle, but for the most part, it was okay. I was just very nervous. They did give me some sorta shot to make me calm, but its hard to be calm when you know what they're gonna be doing and when you imagine what is going on inside of you. I have a very active imagination, so I tried curbing it by singing the ABC in my head.

I had to lie for 8 hours afterwords with sandbags to keep pressure on it. I slept most of the time.

I did have soreness for a few days, but nothing too uncomfortable. Just general soreness and slight twinges if I moved in certain ways, but it was a peice of cake when compared with the whole rest of the renal picture!

-rachel
Elaine

renal biopsy

Post by Elaine »

Hi my daughter had renal biopsy @ age 21/2 was given a sedative that didn't really make alotta difference!! :roll: So Drs gave her more sedation so she' was well out of it' not to be aware or remember about her biopsy. Sounds good idea to me!!!! :lol:

Good luck to u all best wishes Elaine & Rach UK ;) :roll: :wink:
R30

Renal Biopsy

Post by R30 »

My renal biopsy (done in 1998) was fine. Was given a venflon in the back of my hand through which was pumped some sedative. I was asked to lie on my front on a clinic table and had three needles of local anaesthesia put into my back (this didn't hurt - the needles were VERY long though!) I then had an ultrasound of my back so the Pathologist could find my kidneys; unfortunately mine were extremely small back then and the head of Pathology had to be called to complete the procedure. He eventually located my kidneys (which were little bigger than walnuts apparently) and proceeded to take three samples. They had to take three due to the size of my kidneys (couldn't get enough first two takes).
So much for this being the "official" diagnosis of renal failure; even with three samples they couldn't tell me what had caused my kidneys to shrink although said it was likely I had had a reaction to an NSAID I was taking.
Had to stay on my back for 6 hours after the biopsy and was discharged the following morning. It is nothing to worry about - I would happily have another if I had to.
Ruth
Bruno

4 times and hated it!

Post by Bruno »

:shock:
I had 4 of those little suckers... the sound of the instrument is worse of all. (like a cap gun noise) the doctor will numb the area first so that's why it is pretty painless unless you have a rookie like i had and he didn't wait long enough for the lanicane to numb me first before sticking that long needle in. once he got it in he must have hit a nerve when extracting the sample (total of 5 for each biopsy) but if you think you will need something for your nerves ask for a valium - helped me! good luck! :wink:

jimh

Post by jimh »

I had one its not too bad, not something I would choose to have. Had to lay still and not move for four hours afterwards, stayed overnight and walked home.
Jim
Flatman

Post by Flatman »

I have two bi-ops, a bit unpleasent, however not too bad, little bit sore for a couple of days afterwards. I am a wimp of a patient, and hate needles, however I it wasn't that bad.

Good luck, any questions email me.

Nathan
amanda in CA

renal biopsy

Post by amanda in CA »

I've had 4 biopsies, one on my native kidneys and three on the transplant. there is a difference because transplanted kidneys have no nerve supply and it is easier to access them. The one on my native kidneys was a bit problematic, as I retained a blood clot and couldn't pass urine, even though I was desparate to go. I was feeling really nauseated so couldn't drink fluids. I nagged and nagged for an IV which they eventually did and ran through pretty quickly, soon afterwards I passed the clot and then I had no further problems. My aftercare both in the UK and US were both the same, lying flat on my back for 8 hours afterwards and then taking things a little easy for a couple of days after. amanda