Doctors to write new drug-drive guide

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

Doctors to write new drug-drive guide

Post by Mike »

Hi everyone,

have a look at:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story ... 80,00.html

i dont know if many of you have heard that in the UK the department of transport are going to bring in a new guide for driving under the influence of presciption drugs.

The thought of losing my license because of my general medical condiition or because of drugs that have been prescibed does worry me.

What are your thoughts on the subject ?

mike
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Mike,

A lot of the drugs listed to be considered seem to have the possible side effect of drowsiness, so I guess its right that some thinking is done on how it affects people's driving.

As for regular drugs which don't have this side effect, it would be riddiculous if you were stopped driving because of taking them - but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Its a difficult situation, when different drugs affect different people in different ways so how you can work out if someone is safe to drive or not I'm not sure

Hal.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

As far as its covered at the moment, its between the DVLA and your doc..

I can see what they mean though. People may take too many drugs (over the counter) etc. Periton etc makes you sleepy (an antihistamine)

I think that is what they are targetting rather than those on regular prescription meds.. Its stupid to drive when your tired, drugs or not.

Your reaction times generally slow down. Bad news if something unexpected happens.

I've always wondered about those that drive back from haemodialysis? and whether any tests have been done to test reaction times pre and post dialysis ???

Just my thoughts..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast