Kidney biopsy complications

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Madzjade2000

Kidney biopsy complications

Post by Madzjade2000 »

Hello i am a 17 year old girl who is new to this forum and i was just wondering if any of you have had any serious complications from a kidney biopsy ? 2 months ago i had a kidney biopsy which i thought went very well until 6 days later i was rushed to hospital critically unwell with sepsis and internal bleeding . Once the sepsis was being treated they done a CT scan which showed a Pseudoanureysum , an active bleed , extremely large haematoma on the kidney and a collection of blood in my pelvis . They then decided to do a procedure called renal artery embolization where they killed 10% of the kidney by cutting off the blood supply to stop the active bleed whilst i was awake because my heart was struggling to cope . The doctors explained that i had been actively bleeding for 6 days therefore the blood collection became infected causing the sepsis . At first my body compensated for the blood loss that is why i only had the symptom of flank pain and tiredness which at the time i thought was normal . It wasnt until after the 6 days i woke up feeling immensely unwell with a burning fever of 38.5 , a heart rate of 165 , breathing 40 breaths a minute and servere , agonizing flank pain that my mother took action and rushed me to hospital . The doctors also finalised that the kidney biopsy came back positive for IGA Nepropathy of which they already had a certain idea it was that after 5 months of symptoms. It has taken me a while to recover from this horrific experience and i have been told that it is extremely rare to get those sort of complications from a kidney biopsy . Also could anyone give me advice on managing IGA as i am fairly new to the condition . Thank you .
wagolynn

Re: Kidney biopsy complications

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Madzjade2000,

Oh dear, you have a bad time, as you say complications after kidney biopsy like yours are very rare, I hope you are feeling much better now.

This web page should help you to understand IGA. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inform ... ephropathy

Best wishes.