Size of PD supplies for transport

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Renaud Spencer

Size of PD supplies for transport

Post by Renaud Spencer »

Hi all!,
I am shortly to have a catheter fitted, and start on night-time Peritoneal Dialysis. I am also about to change my car, and one of its main jobs will be to transport PD supplies from one address to another, as we have a second home in France (see poppycottage.eu).
Could anyone please advise on the overall dimensions of one month's supply of PD boxes, plus accessories? I'll need to fit them into a hatchback or estate, and the size of the "load" (and weght if possible) would help me make the choice of vehicle! (I can't seem to find this information anywhere else)
With many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Renaud Spencer.
wagolynn

Re: Size of PD supplies for transport

Post by wagolynn »

The best thing to do is to talk to your supplier, they will deliver to holiday destinations outside the UK.

The machine at a rough estimate is about the size of a laptop.
Renaud Spencer

Post by Renaud Spencer »

Thanks for that advice, and the speed of reply! However, I don"t think I'll get away with "holiday",as you suggest, because it will be so regular, say half a dozen trips per year. I've steeled myself to doing the drive (Watford to the Somme) as I still enjoy driving, and have arrangements for delivery to a Watford-ish address. Which machine are you referring to as "lap-top* size? That would be great! The one we've been shown was more like a smallish
photocopier... Thanks again!
renson

Post by renson »

I'll have to fit them into a hatchback, and the extent of the "heap" (and weght if conceivable) would enable me to settle on the decision of vehicle. what's more, the other best answer for this is to converse with you seller he may give his administrations on end of the week too.
Pinkdiamonds14

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Hi,
When my Dad started on overnight APD he changed his car and bought a Belingo specifically to be able to fit all the supplies in. He has used it to transport a week's supply. He uses the Baxter APD machine and it packs away into a small case, very similar to the size of a wheelie cabin case you would take on an aeroplane, albeit much heavier. Hope that helps.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

The amount you will need to transport will all depend on your prescription, this is liable to change. PD supplies were delivered once a month from Baxter with about 3-4 week buffer stock.

https://fsgssucks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/1 ... mo-to.html

This image is what you should expect for a month, each of the bags you see sat on top of the machine weighs 5kg, I had three of these per night. So for 28 nights that is 420kg in solution alone!. Then the additional crap is more about the volume of box size, you wouldn't fit this in an estate/hatch. I returned 10 boxes of fluid once to the hospital and it wouldnt fit in my Sportage.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/180707003767854028/
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.