Living Kidney donor loss earning

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

emmamays1978

Living Kidney donor loss earning

Post by emmamays1978 »

Hi I am currently waiting for my final tests to donate a kidney to my husband. so far all results good. With i kidney running at 63 and the other at 58. So fingers crossed all going to be good. My only worry is about my wage. We know we can claim it back from the nhs but how do they pay you and how often? We want to make sure that we've got our bills covered while we off and don't want to be worrying about paying the rent etc. As my husband will only get ssp this is something I would like to have sorted before we go for the op. Thanks in advance. Also any advice on what we will need to take to hospital. Going to have in Manchester Roya/
wagolynn

Re: Living Kidney donor loss earning

Post by wagolynn »

Ask the hospital PALs at the hospital the renal unit is part of.

Best wishes.
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

emmamays1978 wrote: Also any advice on what we will need to take to hospital.
You might like to look at my blog http://diaryofakidneydonor.blogspot.co.uk/, especially the one headed "Ten Tips for Potential Living Kidney Donors".

Matthew
(My brother is doing great and so am I, more than 4 years on)
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Paying a donor for loss of earnings is, I believe, at the discretion of the NHS Trust involved. Yes, perhaps another postcode lottery.

My experience, at Southmead Hospital, Bristol, was very good. I only dealt directly with the transplant coordinator, supplying her with the details of the costs incurred by my donor (my American cousin), which were essentially:
- medical tests undertaken in the USA
- travel from the USA
- loss of earnings.
These all came close to the maximum then allowed of £5k which was paid in one go after the transplant.
emmamays1978

Post by emmamays1978 »

Thanks for reply would be easier in 1 payment at least could pay all bills at once and not have to think about it for a few weeks