Creatinine and Cheolesterol

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

caveman38

Creatinine and Cheolesterol

Post by caveman38 »

Hi, I'm a first time poster.
I had a call from my GP yesterday following a blood tests. I have been asked to have another test for my creatinine levels and was also informed of a sharp increase in my cholesterol.
As yet I do not know my creatinine figure but was informed of an increase of cholesterol of 5.9 from 4.6 over 6 months.
I have been on Allopurinol for 10 years+ for gout and have that under control although this may show less than 100% kidney function. Apart from that I don't suffer at all medically.
I admit to having a poor diet and drink less water than I should but with a cholesterol figure of 4.6 you can become complacent.
My only issue is stress/anxiety because of a poor marriage and a 40 year old son still living at home (I'm 66 BTW)
Can anyone help make a coinnection with the facts I have given and tell me if there is any correlation in creatine and cholesterol levels. I also cycle a lot and have done some weights over the last few months and wonder if a 66 yo with more than the average muscle amount can show more creatine than the norm. Thanks in advance.
wagolynn

Re: Creatinine and Cheolesterol

Post by wagolynn »

Hi caveman38,
Creatinine is a by-product of muscular activity, though it is normally fairly constant for each individual, I suppose, if you changed the amount of activity the amount produced would change.

I think, the best plan would be to wait until you have seen your GP again, and talk to them about the results.

Cholesterol - I can only suggest you shift your diet to the, five portions of fruit and vegetables per day system, after you have had a talk with your doctor.

Porridge is said to help reduce cholesterol, is has high amounts of both soft, and hard fibre.

Best wishes.