Transplant booked!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bettyboo

Transplant booked!!!

Post by Bettyboo »

Hi all.

I haven't posted for a few months. My lovely sister is donating a kidney to me and we were hopeful to get the transplant arranged before I needed dialysis. Unfortunately my kidneys gave up a bit quicker than we hoped and I have now been on heamo dialysis for 3 months now with a tessio line. All is going very well though and I do feel half normal again (apart from the 15 hours a week spent in hospital!).

We have now got the transplant planned for early November and I had a question for those of you who have had transplants. I work full time at the moment and have a young daughter and family. I need to start thinking about how long I am going to be out of action for. I know it is a bit "how long is apiece of string" but how long where you before you got back in normal routine. Particularly those who worked, how long before you felt well enough to return to work?

Thanks in advance
xx
rheaybou

Re: Transplant booked!!!

Post by rheaybou »

How long you take is down to you.

I work in an office and went back on a phased return to work as agreed between myself and HR. Slowly increasing from 8 hours a week to 38. The best part, phased return paid the full salary!

It all also depends on your follow up appointments, these start at three half days and then two, then once a week.....out to three months for me now.

Best wishes to you both. A speedy recovery too
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Dibs

Re: Transplant booked!!!

Post by Dibs »

Yes it is difficult to plan. I was discharged five days after transplant. After a few days at home, I was getting bored and was able to do some work remotely on the pc. My work is office-based and the office weren't happy with me doing that, but I was only doing some 'housework' activities to give me something to do.

I was allowed by the medical staff to begin a staggered return to work after four weeks. My work insisted on an occupational health assessment. The days I worked seemed to fit in with taking days off for the hospital appointments. I too was on three days a week for first month, but had a few problems after that. Six months post transplant now and I am down to once every three weeks. I'm afraid the difficulty in planning ahead hasn't gone away yet and I am grateful to work for being very flexible with me.

Good luck.