Donor is not a tissue match

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Donor is not a tissue match

Post by Johnylefox »

Having previously been advised that my donor was a 5/6 tissue match it nie appears he is 0/6.

Has anyone ever taken a 0/6 from a living relative and what was the outcome?
MatthewC

Re: Donor is not a tissue match

Post by MatthewC »

That's a shame but it apparently does not prevent the transplant; it depends exactly on a whole lot of things as they can now prescribe drugs to overcome the mis-match in many cases.

However, are you sure that really is what was said? As a donor, I was very confused about this and I think it was because someone used a term like "zero mis-match" - I heard the "zero...match" but not the "mis"! So I thought, incorrectly, that somehow our perfect match had turned the other way.

Hence I do advise that you check to make sure that what has been reported to you is what you understand. In my experience, well, meaning professionals often tended to assume either I understood or that I wasn't interested until I asked them to explain it in terms I could understand - then they found explanations for me and the process moved on.

Best of luck anyway
Matthew