Pain after a Reduction Pyeloplasty

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

gentooguy

Pain after a Reduction Pyeloplasty

Post by gentooguy »

Hi all, I'm a 37 year old male and starting a few years back I began experiencing right flank pain on and off sometimes so severe that I'd be close to passing out. About every 3-4 months I'd suffer what's commonly called a Dietl's Crisis (Usually brought on by drinking too much liquids). I also had high blood pressure in the 160/100 range. Scans showed that I had a UPJ obstruction and that surgery was required. This year in May I had a reduction pyeloplasty. Stent was in for a total of 12 weeks and was taken out in June. Fast forward to now my blood pressure is lower than it was before, now typically between (120 / 80) - (130 / 85). The issue that I seem to be having is that I frequently have dull pain on the right side again. I occasionally get sharp pains that last a couple of minutes and then pass. I'm more worried about the dull ache / pain as it's more frequent and much longer lasting. Some days are definitely better than others. I certainly feel that I can drink more liquids than before and I haven't had what I would consider a Dietl's crisis yet but I'm concerned about the low level pain on the right side. Certain positions can make the pain worse like if I bend or squat down which I assume is putting pressure on the area. My surgeon's assistant told me not to worry as all of this is just normal pain from the surgery that I had and that I'm still healing. It's been like 3 months since my surgery. I will have a Lasix Renal scan done next month in September but I'm concerned about the pain now. Has anyone else experienced these types of pains? If you do have mild to moderate pain was your UPJ surgery successful? How can I tell from my upcoming Lasix Renal Scan if my surgery was successful?
Thanks all!
gentooguy

Re: Pain after a Reduction Pyeloplasty

Post by gentooguy »

Anyone????
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Did your scan show anything, keep reporting the pain if it is still there.
gentooguy

Post by gentooguy »

Scan showed my right kidney was retaining fluid as line on the graph for that side kept going up and then simply plateaued. Once injected with the diuretic the right kidney flushed out pretty quickly. I occasionally still feel light dull pains on the right side just under rib cage. So far since the surgery I have had no dietl's attacks no matter how much fluids I drink. I am not sure if it's normal to keep feeling pains or not. One thing that did look positive from my renal scan was that both kidneys now looked to be about the same size. That wasn't the case in my first renal scan where the right was significantly bigger than the left. The doctor told me some pain is normal and that the blockage is cleared so the surgery in his opinion was a success. I don't necessarily agree with that because I don't understand why my right kidney retains fluid until injected with a diuretic? Wouldn't a successful surgery be where the right side drains normally like the left and doesn't plateau on the scan? Wouldn't the graph for the right side decline or start to decline before being injected with the diuretic?
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

This sounds like question for the nephrologist rather than the GP.

If time has passed since you last saw the GP, and the pain is still there, you could go back and say it is still there.

I would ask at the surgery if they could refer you and/or contact the consultant secretary to arrange an appointment, prepare a list of questions to take with you, we all remember one after we have left the hospital.