New HLA-desensitization treatment

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

freddyy

New HLA-desensitization treatment

Post by freddyy »

Just read a press release today with some good news which might be of interest to some people here. :D

A medical company (Hansa) has been developing a new drug (IdeS) based on an bacterial enzyme which targets the HLA antibodies in a transplant recipient. Initital tests with 25 highly sensitized people seem to have shown great success in 24 of the patients after 6 month followup. Not so many people, and not so long time yet, but sounds promising at least!

Seems like it could be great news for people needing transplants beyond their first after gaining more HLA antibodies.

Reuters wrote a piece on it over at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt ... SKBN1AI2A5 if you are interested. :)
freddyy

Re: New HLA-desensitization treatment

Post by freddyy »

It is indeed very exciting research. I am also excited about the possibilities of CRISPR-Cas9. Just a few days ago several news sites reported about eliminating some retroviruses as well as some other materials in the organs of pigs which have been a show-stopper for pig->human transplants. With specially engineered pigs we could perhaps solve the organ shortage in short order. They had equal hopes to solve remaining issues of rejection using same techniques.

You are absolutely right, we should be thankful to live in a civilization where healthcare is viewed upon as a basic right and not as a commodity for the wealthy.

The medicines for suppression are pretty expensive here (In Sweden) too, even if we pay it through taxes. I did some research about Betalacept and found a study from TLV where they compare cost effectiveness to Tacrolimus and Cyclosporine. Cyclosporine is about 5000 euro/year, Tacrolimus slightly more expensive at around 6000 euro/year, and Betalacept much more expensive at 14000 euro/year (and was deemed not to be worth the cost). I think another common suppressive agent (MMF) is also pretty expensive. Prednisone is dirt cheap though.
All this is of course just a fraction of what dialysis costs. Getting people transplanted saves quite a lot of money in the end.

But yeah, even adding all that up we are still far off from the 25k USD that Americans pay. I guess single-payer system helps with negotiating prices down quite a lot!