New zealand questions

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

otto1357

New zealand questions

Post by otto1357 »

Hi all,

I am thinking of going for a prolonged visit to NZ as I am about to become a granddad. I wondered if people could answer some questions and give me some personal experience. I have a transplant and am pretty stable at the moment.
1. How long would I be allowed to stay (visa)
2. Can I get meds for more than 3 months and take them into the country.
3. What happens if I relapse during my stay, what if anything would I be covered for and what insurance would I need.
4. What kind of fees would i be charged as a private none NZer
5. If I run out of med, MMF, Pred, Tac, BP what would be the costs of purchase and how can I get a precription in NZ (GP fees) or would a GB precription work.
6. I read on this forum that some parts of NZ I could get free dialysis (if I relapsed) id that true and which parts?

I realise that I should direct some of these questions to my Dr and the embassy but I would like to hear from those who have experienced it.

Thanks in advance.

Otto
danmiller84

Re: New zealand questions

Post by danmiller84 »

Hi otto1357,

First congrats on becoming a grandad.

I haven't been to NZ but I did go to Oz for a few mouth, so I can answer a few questions.

There are different types of visa but usally you can get in for about 6 months without a visa but you'll have to satisfy immigration that you can afford to stay for that long without work. They also normally insist on a return ticket - they get nervous that you going to stay forever if you only have a one way ticket.

Your doc/pharmacy should be able to give you 3 months worth, as with any time you travel with your meds; make sure they are keep 8n the original package and take a copy of your prescription. If you are travelling to a country who's first language is not English - get it all translated into the native language.

I would speak to the UK foreign office and/or the NZ embassy because there might (and likely is) an agreement between the two countries because we both have a free health service. Further, like here in the UK - it is unlikely that emergency medical treatment will be witheld because you can not pay.

I have no idea how much prescriptionshould are in NZ but I Googled a pharmacy where I was staying in Oz and they were very helpful - I'd recommend doing that.

When I travelled my transplant was fine so I wasn't thinking about dialysis so know nothing about that.

Hopefully others will jump in with more info. Deffo go, it'll be an amazing adventure!

Dan
Cheers,

Dan

Run a blog called dialysishacks.co.uk which has hints and tips on dialysis and CKD. From benefits to travelling and from CAPD to APD.
otto1357

Re: New zealand questions

Post by otto1357 »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advise.

I have since been on NZ web site link to types of Visa, Option 2 https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zea ... ions/visit. I am allowed entry without a visa for 6 months being from a waiver country (UK) [https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zea ... -countries]. There are don't seem to be any caveates but what you say makes sense about tickets and money.

regards