Mortgage

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Mortgage

Post by Johnylefox »

My partner of 9 years just bailed.
I have a tx coming soonish.
I gave enough money for a good deposit on a small house in Merseyside.
Does kidney disease or having a tx preclude you from mortgages?
Thanks
rheaybou

Re: Mortgage

Post by rheaybou »

Hi,

I had a mortgage before being diagnosed, but last year applied for a new deal with another lender at extended terms/value. Health wasn't

The only trouble I had was getting life insurance, the premiums all wanted to exclude renal problems and were about 25% of my repayment value each month. Luckily I have insurance through work here in the UK - I work for a Swedish firm so get some additional benefits - which helps!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Sorry to hear that, Johny.

Health is not asked about directly in applying for a mortgage. You might be asked to disclose any looming changes that will affect your ability to keep up the payments. But your transplant should improve your health, not worsen it, so I don't see why you'd need to disclose that.

Life insurance is pretty impossible to get as a renal patient, but you only need it if you're buying with someone else, or providing a home for them.

Best of luck.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

I have a mortgage and a transplant, and I'm single.

When I applied for the mortgage, I knew I had ADPKD, although I wasn't in Stage 5 then. I can't remember whether or not I was asked about health issues, but I would have disclosed any information requested.

I certainly disclosed my renal disease to my employers, and I'm glad I did, otherwise my contract could have been terminated when I when into end stage renal failure

Good luck.

Mandy
andreamartinez

Post by andreamartinez »

It does affect sometimes, companies will look for people if you are financially capable of paying. Sad but some business are too bad in terms of their qualifications. It is still best to a professional. There are lawyers that can offer free legal advice or you can also talk with mortgage expert.