DNR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Henriettab

DNR

Post by Henriettab »

A difficult question
If someone in their 90s has Stage 4 ckd , then gets acute kidney failure, has vascular dementia, is on an IV drip for infection- not sure if sepsis but not a UTI-possibly infection from leg ulcers, fractured spine, cataracts and nearly deaf
At what point do Drs decide to withdraw treatment if there is a DNR in place?
Tibbs

Re: DNR

Post by Tibbs »

From my understanding, nothing is withdrawn on DNR, you just don't get rescuscitated if you go into cardiac arrest or something else happens and your heart stops.

Deciding to withdraw is a whole other thing and usually covered off by a living will or similar. If they don't have one then it will be discussed by the doctors with the family or whoever has power of attorney. Doctors won't just withdraw feeding or other care unilaterally.

source: my experience
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Agree with Tibs.
DNR is a do not resuscitate order.
It does not relate to other treatments - just resuscitation.
So if the person who has one (your dad I assume) has a cardiac arrest he will not be resuscitated (in effect brought back from the dead) but all other treatments are not covered by this.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Henriettab

Post by Henriettab »

Thank you .