Johns Hopkins Hospital Baltimore MD USA/UPJ obstruction

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ruthie

Johns Hopkins Hospital Baltimore MD USA/UPJ obstruction

Post by Ruthie »

Hello everyone!

Last summer I had a dull ache in my right flank region and after an ultrasound and other diagnostic tests, was diagnosed with a UPJ obstruction of the right kidney and told I would need surgery to correct the obstruction.

My urologist told me that my options were to have an open pyeloplasty or laparoscopic pyeloplasty. After comparing the two procedures, I definitely wanted to have the laparoscopic procedure...so locating a surgeon who performed it became my qwest.

One of the most difficult aspects of my diagnosis was locating a surgeon and I am happy to report that I was fortunate to find a very wonderful, gifted and kind doctor, Louis Kavoussi, at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore Maryland. March 1st, I had surgery and my 2 1/2 month follow up last week. My renal scan results shows my obstruction is corrected!!!

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone who finds they are in similar circumstances. For anyone interested, Dr. Kavoussi can be located on the Johns Hopkins website.

Best,

Ruthie