Foamy Urine Urinalysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

IronSand

Foamy Urine Urinalysis

Post by IronSand »

My urine is usually foamy, but I tested negative for protein in my urine. The only abnormality in my urine test was the total pretein/creatinine ratio.

Should I be worried that there is something wrong with my kidneys, or is it normal for the ratio to be a little high sometimes?

Urinalysis:
Color, Urine [Yellow]
Appearance, Urine [Clear]
Protein, Urine [Negative]
Glucose, Urine [Negative]
Ketone, Urine [Negative]
Blood, Urine [Negative]
Nitrite, Urine [Negative]
Leukocyte Esterase, Urine [Negative]
Bilirubin, Urine [Negative]
Specific Gravity, Urine [1.018] (standard range: 1.006 - 1.029)
pH, Urine [7.5] (standard range: 5.0 - 8.0) pH
Urobilinogen, Urine [0.2] (standard range: 0.1 - 1.0) EU/dL

Urine, Total Protein:
Protein, Urine [9] mg/dL
Creatinine, Urine [123.5] (standard range: 22.0 - 392.0) mg/dL
Total Protein/Creatinine Ratio, Urine [72.9] (standard range: 15.0 - 68.0) mg/g
wagolynn

Re: Foamy Urine Urinalysis

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Iron Sand,

The results certainly look ok, how much fluid do you drink it looks as though you could be on the low side?
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Hi IronSand,

While this forum is here to support, none of us are experts or medical professionals, so I hope you're discussing these with your doctor. :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
IronSand

Post by IronSand »

wagolynn wrote:Hi Iron Sand,

The results certainly look ok, how much fluid do you drink it looks as though you could be on the low side?

I think I drink a lot of fluids (maybe 6 glasses a day). Do you think my problem could be dehydration?

Are there kidney problems that don't show up on a urinalysis but can be revealed by an ultrasound? Just wondering...

Thumps wrote:Hi IronSand,

While this forum is here to support, none of us are experts or medical professionals, so I hope you're discussing these with your doctor. :)
Well...my follow up appointment is on Monday.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi IronSand,

Fluid intake looks OK.

Ultrasound scans are used as part of the kidney diagnostic package, in my experience, ultrasound is used when other test (bloods etc.) suggest something is wrong.

Ultrasound can be used to breakup stones.