Too young for anything serious??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ledvica

Too young for anything serious??

Post by Ledvica »

Hello everyone!
I'm new here.. I have problems with my kidneys for 5years now.
5 years ago I had pyelonephritis (bad one..had to be in the hospital) and from that on I have had every year infection. I got antibiotics and everytime they helped. But few months ago i noticed blood in my urine. I had no pain passing urine at all. Only pain in kidney eria. Again I got antibiotics and that was it.
On 26th of December it happend again. This time there was even more blood. I had to go to ED. They made ultrasound and saw that one kidney is bigger. They said that it might be kidneystones but I had no problems passing urine. They said I'm too young for anything serious so they gave me antibiotics again..after few days I went to do the checking at my dr.and there was still blood. He gave me onother antibiotics so now I take two..
I asked how is with CTscan and they said that it is too radioactive for me cuz I'm young and it's probably nothing seriously.
I have constant feeling of a pressure under my ribs on right side and it is very disturbing. I am tired all the time and lost 4kg in last 3weeks not on purpose. Otherwise I am healthy don't smoke or dnink. I do alpinism and mountain running and I'm in good physical shape. I am 23 years old.

So I guess i want to know if I am really too young for "anything serious " and if ultrasound is good enough to see if somthing is wrong..
I'm really scared and don't know what to do so I'll be happy for any suggestion.

Have a wonderful evening and a happy and healthy new year!
P.s.: sorry for any mistakes..English is not my native language..
Johnylefox

Re: Too young for anything serious??

Post by Johnylefox »

Never too young for anything really.
Age is not a shield nor a sword with kidney disease.
freddyy

Post by freddyy »

Bad things can unfortunately happen regardless of age. It sounds like your doctor is unable to reassure you about your worries... maybe you can ask for a second opinion? See another doctor perhaps, or ask your current doctor to explain what it can and what it can't be, and why there is no reason to worry.

Sometimes doctors can be right to dismiss certain symptoms, but do a very poor job of explaining and reassuring the patient which is just as important...
Chooley0

Post by Chooley0 »

I am 22 years old and I was diagnosed with Stage 3 CKD 6 months ago. If you still have pain and blood I would maybe try and get in touch will your Renal Unit or Nephrology Clinic as they will specifically deal with Kidneys and may be able to provide more advice?

I was quite lucky to be referred straight to them by my GP, so sorry I can't be of any more help!