Very frequent urination after tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

wagolynn

Re: Very frequent urination after tx

Post by wagolynn »

Congratulations, I hope you are soon up and about.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I did not pass urine for 3.5 years before transplant which I had 5 months ago. I urinate every hour and feel like I urgently need to go almost all of the time. I've been told I can 'train' my bladder to hold more for longer which I am currently doing. Incidentally after causing bleeding for a month my stent fell out all by itself.
Pinkdiamonds14

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Hi Chris
My dad has PKD, been on dialysis and finally had a transplant in May. The transplant itself went well although it's been a long haul not helped by the fact he had to have another op in July. He has been experiencing exactly the same problem as you with the frequent urination and urgency and it is really getting him down.

I just wondered how you are doing now and if you overcame the problem?

Many thanks
Jules
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Some hospitals have nurses trained in bladder control, I would check with your GP, and/or transplant group, if this available in your area.

Drinking less is not the answer, paradoxically the recommendation is to drink more, better for the transplant, and encourages the bladder to return to a more normal/natural size much quicker.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

My transplant was 12 months ago and I still have to get up every 60-90 minutes throughout the night. During the day I can go 4 hours between needing to urinate
Pinkdiamonds14

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Thank you to both Wagolynn and Chrisb for replying. I am pleased to say that things have vastly improved for my dad; he has seen a urologist who has explained bladder training and the need to give it time, at the moment it seems to be working. Happy New Year to you both.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Thanks for letting us know, it may help others.

Best wishes.