CKD Clear Urine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Henriettab

CKD Clear Urine

Post by Henriettab »

Dad was asked to produce a urine sample this morning but has dementia and the sample he has left looks like pure water, completely colourless. He asures me this is urine and that he didn't rinse it out with water. Is this typical of kidney function decline? If anything, in the past it has always been on the dark side.
He has just completed two different courses of Anti Biotics to get rid of Urine infections, the last tablet taken this morning.
wagolynn

Re: CKD Clear Urine

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Henriettab,

Like you, I suspect he may have just put water in but rather than challenge him, which is likely to cause upset for you both.
You could 'pretend' they have asked for two samples now or simply submit the one sample, letting them know you are doubtful about it, they will be able to tell very quickly if it is just water.
Henriettab

Post by Henriettab »

Hi Wagolynn
Thanks for reply. District Nurse tested it today and yes it was only water :roll: I have a new urine pot to get a sample tomorrow which nurse will test again. Dad has been waking me up several times a night over silly things so I think it is either a UTI even though he has has completed 2 courses of Anti Biotics or his Vascular Dementia has dropped another level. :(
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Henriettab,

I am pleased to see the suspect sample is now sorted out.

I can only think of a couple of solutions, A) Nurse to assist in taking sample B) Let him try again but tell him they expect it to be yellow or pale brown (lock up the Orange squash, and the Gravy salt :wink: )

Good luck.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Henriettab

My urine is almost always completely clear and looks like water. I have polycystic kidney disease, stage 5 CKD, just approaching dialysis. I understand this is pretty common, because of the kidneys inability to 'concentrate' the urine.

Good luck!