Questions about APD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

newbie123456

Questions about APD

Post by newbie123456 »

Hi,

My husband has just found out he needs dialysis in 3-4 months. GFR 12. We're trying to decide which dialysis to do. He very much wants to do home dialysis and can't do CAPD as he works fulltime in an office and has no clean spaces to do the exchange.
We are leaning towards overnight APD as it seems less invasive but he is worried about being hooked up to a machine for 9 hours a night. He doesn't sleep well, never has, even when he was well. He tends to watch telly on the sofa til 2-3 am then come to bed.
He hasn't come to terms with it all yet and wants something that will have least impact on his life. I suspect this will change over the coming months/years.
Is it possible to start the overnight cycle in one room then unplug the machine and continue in the bedroom? Or is it possible to have 2 machines that he can switch between mid cycle? Obviously we'd have to pay for the second machine which will probably exclude this option.

Thanks
SKM23435

Re: Questions about APD

Post by SKM23435 »

I know we are all different.
Before I started APD I was worried as I'd be unable to wander around and get a cup of tea on nights I couldn't sleep. If I can't sleep I like to get up then return to bed an hour or so later. The honest truth was that I was so tired with renal failure and working I had no problems with insomnia. I had nights when I tossed and turned a lot or couldn't get comfortable for various reasons but I never once had the desire to get up and wander, I was just exhausted.

You can disconnect from the machine mid treatment and reconnect but this is not generally encouraged as it increases the risk of infection.

Good Luck. I'm sure your husband will find something that works for him.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
newbie123456

Re: Questions about APD

Post by newbie123456 »

Thank you,
I know that when he starts it will be a totally different story, but right now he is so upset about it all. I just want to be able to tell him that his life won't change that much....even though I know it will :(