Weight Loss

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Goodasnew

Weight Loss

Post by Goodasnew »

Hi was wondering has anyone struggled to put weight on. Husband lost over a stone due to thrush and mouth ulcers which he is still struggling with . Hardly ate anything for three weeks at the beginning as his mouth and tongue was so sore. He hasn't lost his appetite but struggles eating food with his sore mouth. Really needs to put some weight back on as he is only slight build normally anyway. Has anyone else struggled with weight gain after kidney transplant.
rheaybou

Re: Weight Loss

Post by rheaybou »

I was the opposite, didn't struggle to gain weight.

Have the Drs raised this as a concern at post TX clinic as I would guess the sores and thrush are not making eating fun. Options you could try are build up/nourishment drinks, but check to make sure this is okay.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Goodasnew

Post by Goodasnew »

Yes I rang our transplant support team and asked if there was any suppliment he could take they said Consultant would have prescribed something if he was concerned. It worries me as two months is a long while to be struggling to eat. He manages to eat a meal now but it takes forever. He is taking medication Mouth gel and mouth wash but its very slow getting better.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi,
I think in this situation I would get him to see his GP, the GP may start asking questions, and trigger some action.

Or, make contact with the consultant, phone or face-to-face, the lower grades of medical staff do tend to 'protect' consultants, so it may be the consultant was never consulted about your concerns.
suz

Post by suz »

I was in hospital for 4 weeks following transplant and lost more than 10kg as I had no appetite and struggled to eat. I was given a supplement called Sustagen which was recommended by the dietician, I also had a lot of soup.