ReallyI need some help!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Nonna

ReallyI need some help!!!

Post by Nonna »

Hello everyone here!
Hope your day willl be better than mine last week's agony.
My mother is with chronic KD from 8 years. Last week we wanted to check the results with urea, creatinine. She was vimong and stopped eating. Yes we had creatinine 700mmol/l. She was scared and we went to haemodialysis department. They said that's time to put catheter for peritoneal dialysis. We went, but before the surgical intervention she had creatinine 550mmol/l. Yes she didn't voming, had apetite, but no matter they putted the catheter.
Now we are not sure that she is for dialysis so soon. But what to do with the peritoneal catheter? How long it can stay there without using? The doctors here I cannot believe bcuz they are looking only for the money :( I'm so shocked and scared.
Soobee

Re: ReallyI need some help!!!

Post by Soobee »

Hi Nonna,

I'm sorry to hear that you're scared, this forum is a great place to get information and find out about others experiences.

I can't really help with when your mum will need dialysis but in terms of the catheter it might end up being better that she has it and is ready to go in the future. I had 3 weeks before I used mine (started dialysis) and went to the hospital for a weekly dressing change and to have it flushed through with fluid (otherwise the tube blocks up with fibrin as you body tried to heal the area).

The catheter can stay there without being used for full dialysis but she will need to clean it and dress it (as you would anyway) and might be advised to 'flush' it through with a bit of fluid one a week or so. I think if it is not used at all you would have problems later on.

Have you tried contacting the hospital to ask? Do you have a follow up appointment to check the dressings etc?
Nonna

Post by Nonna »

Tomorrow they will show us. Unforetunately they want to start dialysis but I'm not agree for it. They will show me how to do it.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hello Nonna,

Sorry to read about mum.

Are you in the UK?

Why do you disagree with the dialysis? Done properly, it certainly will not do any harm, and mum is going to have to dialyse eventually to stay alive.
Nonna

Post by Nonna »

Nope, I live in Bulgaria... But here the health system is incredible!! Telling that because I am doctor in Oncology centre and believe me, I see what most of medical workers are doing for money. :(
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

As a Dr you should be talking and discussing your mothers treatment with her renal team. The level of Creatinine is less of an indication of when to start treatment, this should be based on the eGRF and well being of your mother.

Has your mother had a flush of her catheter yet?
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
cspringer479

Post by cspringer479 »

Nonna wrote:Nope, I live in Bulgaria... But here the health system is incredible!! Telling that because I am doctor in Oncology centre and believe me, I see what most of medical workers are doing for money. :(
Health system in every hospital all over the world is likely the same way they treat their patients where obviously unfair when it comes to the status of your life. You do not need to be afraid, you all know its the only way to heal your mom. Just be brave to yourself. And show to your mom that you are there support her all the time.
Nonna

Post by Nonna »

Yes, for me it's too early too... I spoke with them last week. They are telling that it's better to start a lil bit earlier and she would feel better and wont have all of the complications after it. We tried only with lavage and with after every lavage she feld better. But without leaving the solution inside. At home they gave us to do it for 10 days and to go there and they would see how to continue after it. If results are going less than 550mmol/l creatinine I guess we would do once a day lavage and we would be ready for dialysis after some time. Yes, 500-600 creat. is not so much. But if we are watching GF-it's 12... She is on the "border". Don't know how is all over the world but here when you have diabet and GF less than 15, you can start PD, and less than 13 - haemo. For other ones - Glomeruloneohritis, Pyelonephritis, Polycystik KD - PD nealy when the glomerular filtration is less than 12 and haemo - less than 10. Yeah, like a daughter it will be always early for me =) No matter what I am, I'm not from stone (still) :)
Sometimes I think that I will make a big mistake with her and that will cost her life! Believe me, the treatment for the closest people is always the most difficult thing in your life - you always will be scared for them, even you don't have a reason for it! =)
I will keep in touch with you guys, and if someone have similar problem like mine, to have ready answer of it.
Nonna

Post by Nonna »

Hi guys!
Sorry that I didn't inform you for a long time. I need to tell you all the results from the medical mistakes.
So... I guess I told earlier the situation from the beggining with the big nightmare in who we still live and guess we will live from these days. So what happened??? We understood that the doctor who was treating my mother should have to take her in nephrology department for 3-4 days to see the results before putting the catheter. He didn't do that. He just say you are going on surgery. Okay... First mistake! Second one - creatinine fell on 460mmol/l without any help - here in Bulgaria are using only Furosemide for kidney failure, but my mother didn't want to give some medicaments. Te doctor said that she needs to start dialysis, and after 15 minutes came the Docent and said that it's too early (we were there with out doctor together). He said that out doctor made a big mistake and now we cannot do anything for this moment but we wont start making dialysis - we will only flush the catheter once a day or on two days. Don't wanna tell what we fell on this moment. The guy was from the people who is taking money for every person who is in dialysis. His chief told that their system of payment is per person.. So... Now we have catheter without we need it and she stopped working because of it... And unfortunately cannot continue working (her job was too dirty). So guys, please be careful where are you going and what are you doing... Ask before everything several times! Sometimes the mistakes are too expensive! :( I'm not scared from all the process of dialysis, she is second person from the family the 3th I will be! But mistakes, medical mistakes are the biggest lesson and my nightmare..!
Let God bless all of you here, and be strong! Never give up and live with smile! Thanks a lot all of you! I will continue reading and if I can I would help too!